5 Horse Merc

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by s_man, Feb 8, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The owners manual says to replace the impeller each year at the dealer. I bought it new in 2000. I haven't done it yet. and the thing still pumps water after five years. So I guess my question is does it need replaced yearly,even if its running fine ,or only if it starts sputtering. Can I do this myself with little trouble.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it no doubt tells ya to replace every 5 at the dealer so the dealer makes money. i have an '88 9.9 mariner/merc that i got used in 2000 and havent replaced it yet, still pumps water like a charm and ive used the h#@l out of it. as long as its pumping im not worrying about it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys to chime in here and to make a point. I would change the impeller every other season and the whole water pump every other time I changed the impeller.

The life of that power head relies on it cooling. I have seen them come apart when you least expect them to and when it does and you are a good ways away from the ramp you are gonna over heat.
    Now let me ask you this. Does your 5 h/p have a warning system on it for over heating. If it doesn't then by the time it heats up the damage his done.
    A impeller change is a way lot cheaper then a power head.

You can change the impeller your self and save the labor.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Then since I haven't changed the water pump or impeller I need to do both this year. Should I let a dealer do the water pump. If its something else I can do. Can I get the Section on water pump and impeller replacement from a service manual in a download anywhere? Or should I just see If I can order one from merc? thanks for your assistance.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    changing it out aint no biggie its easy to do i do recomend getting a service manual

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Like mutt said you can do it it ain't no biggie. You can go down to your local library and check out a repair Manuel for it. Most libraries carry them or if you want me to I can pm you a link to where you can order one.

I like the OEM Manuel's but the seloc will do just don't get the clymer.