5 gallon bucket upgrades.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Rat, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I had to get rid of my truck last year due to the fact it was getting 13 mpg, and my daughter was starting college and needed something more reliable to drive back and forth to school during the week. (plus something that didn't smell like the river) So, this year when I go fishing, I'll be driving either the family van or the car. I like to take a 5 gallon bucket with me that holds my livebait, but didn't want it splashing all over the inside of the vehicle. I also wanted an easier way to get bait out of the bucket without having to use a dip net, or sticking my hand into a bucket of water full of bullheads. So, after a few days of running options through my head, this is what I came up with.
    I measured the inside of the bottom of the bucket and found it to be 10 1/4 inches. I cut out a 10 inch circle of hardware cloth for the bottom and then another piece 5 inches wide by 3 feet long, made that into a circle with an overlap that fit the 10 inch bottom, and hooked it all together using small pieces of wire I twisted down tight. I found the center of the bottom and put in a threaded rod and very large washers (one on bottom, one on top) and double nutted it to keep everything tight. Then I measured the inner diameter of the top of the bucket and cut out a piece of plywood to fit as snugly as I could into the top opening. I drilled a hole in the center of the plywood to let the threaded rod through, then put more washers and nuts, one above one below, to attach it to the rod so it's level with the top of the bucket when the wire bottom is sitting on the bottom of the bucket. Now, when you pull on the threaded rod to take the lid off, the screened bottom rises with it and brings the bait in the bucket along with it to the surface so you can snatch whatever you want from the basket. I put 4 small bolts evenly spaced through the rim of the bucket ( 12, 3, 6 and 9 O'clock) so the lid sits on them for some extra support. That is so you can put some pressure on it and the lid won't try and flip on you so you can use the top as a cutting board. Last thing I have to do is cut a small slit in the top so the wire for my aerator can go through. (The original handle remains on the bucket to use to carry it to the water.)
    Rat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Based on a design flaw that could really turn out to be a pain in the posterior, a recall was made and a fix was initiated. (Thanks Bearcat.)
    Rat

[​IMG]