5 gal water jug bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by simpleokie, Jul 26, 2009.

1. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    After reading up on some of the other bait tanks in here I decided to get an old water jug that we had in our shed and make a bait tank. My brother had a 400 gph aerator that the treads were broken off of, so he gave it to me and I stuck a 5/8" hose barb in it and sealed it with silicone. Then I ran a hose through the hole in the jug where the spicket was. I had to ream it out just a little bit for the hose. Then I drilled a hole higher up on the side and ran some old aerator hose up to an elbow through the wall and ran it down all the way to the bottom of the jug. I drilled 4 holes in the hose inside the jug with a small bit about 1/8". They really stir it up good. I used some strap to hold it to the side of the jug.
    I just gave it a test run and everything works great. Im going to put a cig lighter on the wires & I'll be good to go. It aint pretty but for what I need it looks like it will work fine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very nice bait holder Ken thanks,,,

3. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    looks like it should work good, doesnt have to be pretty, thanks for the pics

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    only thing missing is the main ingredient..... you dont have anything introducing oxgen into the water...

5. simpleokie

simpleokie New Member

State:
    Okla.
    Thanks guys,
    yea your right biga, Its funny because it does have bubbles in the water, so it must be sucking air from somewhere, but I guess I need to read a little more to see how thats done.
    Another problem I had last weekend was some of the shad I netted were small, it actually sucked a couple of them up and chewed them up and sent them back through. I basically had shad soup in it. It did keep the bait alive long enough for fishing all night, but I need to put something over the suction hose too.
    Its a work in progress.

6. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good post ken, thats a good idea.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Water movement speeds up the transfer of the gasses.