5 foot shark!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by PeZ, Jul 8, 2007.

1. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This was the biggest fish i caught on my vaction to atlantic city!!!

Attached Files:

2. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    nice shark, ive always wanted to catch one, what kind was that

PS-love the signature

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    its called a spiney dog shark

4. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nice shark, probably gave u a good tug.

5. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It did put a pretty good fight I thought I have jaws lol.:smile2:

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Nice catch, bud. Could/did you eat it? We used to tell tales about catching sharks when I was in kindergarten...just never had the proof to back it up...:tounge_out: How big does that kind usually get? Couldn't imagine the fight that would've put up...I get cocky when I pull somethin' out of the water five pounds..not five foot..lol Thanks for the pic. Enjoyed it.

-Red

7. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There only supposed to get 4 feet long max but this one was 4'10'' and it was the biggest one I have ever seen or caught, The captain of the charter boat said he had never seen one that big. it's weight was 17.2#s bye the way its accually a fish not a shark and only has one tooth. and they are not eatable as far as I know.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tom nice catch there thanks for the pictures.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the spiny dog shark is the fish used in English fish & chips (called rock salmon by the businesses).

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    :0a26:The name dogfish is applied to a number of small Sharks found in the northeast Atlantic ,Pacific ,Mediterranean, especially those in the three families Scyliorhinidae Dalatiidae Squalidae. Although often used in reference to Scyliorhinus canicula, the name is applied only loosely and does not usually signify a close taxonomic relationship. The Spiny Dogfish (Squalus acanthias) are the most common sharks in the western Atlantic Ocean. They hunt both solitarily and in schools. They eat small fish, squid, and crustaceans, and have extremely strong jaws for crushing the shells. They are considered a nuisance by fishermen because they will latch on to almost anything put in the water. Some fishermen kill them when caught which, along with pollution, has contributed to a sharp decline in population in Puget Sound. It is now illegal to kill or mutilate them when caught. They are edible, but taste terrible. Care has to be taken when handling because they have 2 poisionous spines at the back of both dorsal fins. The poison is not likely to cause major damage, but the wound can take months to heal.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First,thanks for sharing your trip with us.Most of my fishing now is through people who share their trips with us.I think the English fish and chips have gone through a variety of fish as the stocks have been depleted in Jerry's and my life time.I loved the Cod served in the early 60's in Scotland.We remember when Red fish were known as Red Drum and and only the largest were fish for as trophy's.You could not sell them as they were known as "Coarse or trash" fish.They were discarded by the millions when caught.The small ones still are discarded dead by the millions along with many other fish when sorting commercial catches,as that is the law.When the New Orleans cooks could no longer get their fish of choice,they turned to the plentiful Red fish.The Pollock has been turned into artificial Crab meat,fish sticks,and look at what has become of the lowly,coarse,trashy Catfish.It was only served locally in fish camps and "eaten by the lower classes of people" per a northern snob taking pictures and talking about us "bare foot southern trashy people" when I was a kid.That ol trash fish is now served all over the USA and exported to other countries.The same goes for Crawfish.What in the world will our youth learn to eat and drink in their lifetime?Is the recycling and experiments now being done in space their future?The thought makes me glad that I am nearing my lifespan.We are now cleaning,eating and drinking so much that was once considered trash.That nice fish that was a great catch and released may be your delicacy of tomorrow.It has already happened many times in my lifetime.A little something to think about.Nearly all large saltwater fish that I have seen have worms or parasites in their flesh.I have discussed this with ex commercial fishermen and ex fish processing plant employees from around the world.They all agree.Fish processing plants in Canada and the USA remove the two worms required by law as the fish go through the process.It is recognized that to remove them all is imposable,but they can state with all honesty that parasites have been removed.Enjoy that fish cake or fish stick,and do not look too close at large fish steaks or fillets.Those are not tendons you see.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Did you catch anything else Tom?

Jaime

13. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes i did here are some more photos

Attached Files:

14. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    o cant forget my star fish lol

Attached Files:

15. Texas.410

Texas.410 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Nice shark.:big_smile:

16. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    That is too cool! Thanks for posting your pictures Tom.

Jaime

17. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    As with many sharks ..dogfish dont have a urinary tract. They pee through their skin. They can be eaten but you have to soak the meat in milk. Or so I hear anyway. As a youngun I didnt know about the milk soak trick and tried frying some up I'd caught. The whole house smelled like ammonia. When my ma got home and got a whiff she raised the roof. I just laughed and went on about my buisness