5 foot flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blue Bruiser, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Hey guys, just thought I would fill you guys in on one of the most remarkable outings that I have had in quite sometime. My father and I went out today and thought we would try and wrestle up some walleye and sauger in a slough that forks off the mississippi about 200 feet from one of the damns. We usually do pretty good here for walleye, sauger, and stripers in the winter months under a bridge that crosses this slough. Well we both tied on 2 jigs, one white one chartruese on our lines. Well first cast we both hook up with carp weighing 1 - 1/2 lbs a piece. Next cast is when the fun begins. Now let me mention that where we are fishing, the slough is about 3 foot deep then it hits the bridge pilons and creates a hole that I am estimating to be 5-6 feet deep. Well My dad hooks up again on the second cast, 6 lb Flathead on chartruese jig. I was amazed. Well needless to say my next cast brings in a 13 lb flattie. Well we fished here for about 2 hours or so and caught 9 flatties. Smallest being my 4 lber and the biggest being my dads 23.6 lber. Probably would have nailed a few more but 2 guys with remote control gas powered boats put em in and was drivin em not even 10 feet from us. :( Now I also have to mention that we were using ultralight rods & reels with 4 lb test. It was a blast. What I believe is happening here is that hole has grass in it and I think those carp are using it for refuge and them darned Flatties are comin through and suckin em up. Which makes me wonder how did we catch em on crappie jigs?. Well nevertheless it was a very enjoyable outing. Even though I was wanting walleye for dinner tonight. LOL :)

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    That's a great story.I love to here of winter time flatheads being caught.Was you in a river or lake and what do you think the water temp was.Were they real close to the pillons.Did you land the 23lber on 4lb test also,if so you did well.Shoot us some more info on the conditions

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That sounds similar to a cove in a lake in PA. There is a bridge that goes across and creates a little "back water." There are holes around the bridge billings too. My uncle caught a 24lb. flattie there last year.

4. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You caught a 23# Flathead on 4# test? You the man!!! I would like to have seen that battle on video!

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good job, Good work

6. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    It Is Not Uncommon To Catch Flatheads On Jigs During The Colder Months. If You Have A Chance To Check Out Some Of The In-fishermans Catfishing Series Videos, You Really Should. They Have A Short Segment On Frosty Flatheads. They Talk About How The Flatheads Hold Up In Deep Holes And If You Drop A Jig In Front Of Them They Will Usually Bite. Remember They Are A Lazy Predator. If Its Easy They Most Often Won't Pass On An Easy Meal. I Have Even Caught Some While Slow Trolling A Crank Bait In The Fall For Stripers.

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    If that 23lber was caught on 4lb test it would be close to breaking the IFGA line class record. There's a guy that posts on a local fishing board that has been trying to break that 4lb line record for some time now. His biggest has been 20lbs caught in about 35ft of water, it took him around 2hrs to land that fish.

8. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    That fish was indeed caught on 4 lb test and it took about 1 hour to land. These fish in no way put up a fight. I guess they were just lathargic due to low metabolism from the water temps. Regardless It will be a trip I will remember for a lifetime. :)

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    For a while nearly all of my catfish were caught trolling with crappie jigs on 6lb test line with ultralight reels in my uncle's lake. I never caught any that went 23lbs but my 7 year old cusin caught a 12lb flathead and my mom caught a 11lber and i've caught 3 11+-lb flatties using this method in summer while fishing for crappie. My uncle has many 40+lb cats in his lake and I am a firm believer ive hooked into a few near this size while trolling but my hook either straightened or my line breaks and i never get to fight it longer than a few minutes cause with a ultralight rod i cant just get them to keep them from going in root wads. Anyone else have luck trolling w/jigs

10. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    The Frosty Flathead segment was filmed up in my neck of the woods on the Mississippi River. There is a good crowd of cat anglers here who are upset about the promotion of this type of fishing for flatties. You need to realize that Minnesota does not have a huge population of flathead catfish. In fact, there are only 3 rivers in the state that sustain a population- the St. Croix, Mississippi, and Minnesota. The Mississippi doesn't ice over in the winter months like the other 2 rivers do. When you take a small population of fish that migrate to the deepest holes of the river in the winter months, they become very easy to target. It wouldn't take very many anglers who know what they are doing to exploit this opportunity.

The troubling part is that aggressively jigging large spoons is the technique used to catch these flatties. A good percentage of them are not legally caught but rather snagged. That fact was clearly mentioned in the show by the guide. He said some days they catch more and some days they snag more. The snagging part is what troubles me.

Anyway, enough of my take on the show.

What the show did point out is that flatties in cool water periods will take a bait if they have the opportunity to. They are not strictly dormant in their wintering holes. The show also pointed out the vulnerability of the flatheads at this time of year.

It is now the responsibility of us anglers to protect this resource the best we can. Hopefully, the MN DNR takes notice someday and closes the flathead season down in the winter.

Another thing to remember is flathead catfishing in Minnesota is much different than the southern states. Fishing flatties is definitely sport with most anglers practicing catch & release. Eating a flathead is almost unheard of even though I hear they are pretty good. We'll keep a bunch of channel cats to eat but not a flattie.

Anyway, thought I could maybe add a little Minnesota perspective to this.