5 fishermen killed In Louisiana!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], May 22, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    HOUMA, La. -- Louisiana officials say five men who planned to take part in a weekend fishing tournament died when their 24-foot aluminum boat ran under one end of a barge.

Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Captain Samuel Martin says the boat hit the moored barge late Wednesday but wasn't discovered until Thursday morning. He said the men apparently hit their heads on the barge's slanting underside.

The victims identities were released by the department Thursday evening. Two were from Louisiana: Michael James Carrere, 44, of Houma, and Carey J. Meche, 52, from the New Orleans suburb of Metairie. Three were from Texas: Rene Joseph Gauthier, 59, of Houston; Lawrence Henry Flak, 54, Conroe; and William Norris Voss, 49, of Katy.

Department spokeswoman Marianne Burke said investigators don't know whether the barge was lit. She said the boat was taken to a secure lot for further investigation.

Martin said the boat was upright, with the bodies still in it.

The accident happened about 60 miles southwest of New Orleans on the Falgout (FAHL'-goo) Canal between Theriot (TERRY-oh) and Dulac (DOO-lak). The barge was being used by a crew stabilizing the bank.

Ernie Bennett, who is on the board of the Houma Oilman's Invitational Fishing Tournament, says the men were among about 3,000 entered in the tournament that begins Friday.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is terrible...but there is something fishy here. ALL of them hit their heads on the underside of the barge and died. AND the boat remained upright with their bodies in it? I can't see how that would happen?

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I was thinking the exact same thing.
    Very sad though, whatever happened...W

4. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    it is terrible and i wonder how it happened

5. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I seen this some where and I thought I would put it in here to get us all thinking. About three years ago dumplins and I were blasting down the chain of rocks canal. He was driving and I was half asleep. All of a sudden I heard him scream, felt the boat do a quick weave. He had almost hit a barge> with no lights on< sitting right in middle of the canal real late at night. we were doing about 35 so we would of both been killed for sure.

Sounds like what happened to these guys except they probaly never seen it at all. As far as how they died I think they are just speculating as no is alive to tell the tale. Probaly had their heads about tore off. I guess its better than drowning but not much.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I seen this some where and I thought I would put it in here to get us all thinking. About three years ago dumplins and I were blasting down the chain of rocks canal. He was driving and I was half asleep. All of a sudden I heard him scream, felt the boat do a quick weave. He had almost hit a barge> with no lights on< sitting right in middle of the canal real late at night. we were doing about 35 so we would of both been killed for sure.

Sounds like what happened to these guys except they probaly never seen it at all. As far as how they died I think they are just speculating as no is alive to tell the tale. Probaly had their heads about tore off. I guess its better than drowning but not much.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Why the heck would you be doing 35 mph in the dark anyway????? That's a recipe for disaster already. Don't you scan ahead once in a while with a searchlight just to plot a safe course????:eek:oooh:

Speed kills at night.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I agree completely!!! What the hell?? There is absolutely no reason to be running that dang fast in the dark! You're beggin' for something bad to happen...that's like a blind guy throwing his cane into the ditch and sprinting out onto I-270 for a jog! Not the thing to do...

I wouldn't be suprised to see alcohol involved in this paricular accident...alcohol on the river is an excellent ingredient for disaster. I must be a complete hardass cause if you're out on the river drunk and get into an accident, I have zero compassion for you. YOU are the idiot that put YOURSELF into that situation...it's like playing Russian Roulette, play it long enough and you're bound to be a "winner".

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Agreed 100%

As long as we are on the subject of river safety and how dangerous barge traffic can be...

Another thing to watch out for, day or especially night, are long anchor cables on these barges. I have seen them set up mid river with two anchors out--one way the hell off to port and the other way the hell off to starboard--with anchor cable stretching many hundred feet just above the waterline. I can only imagine the mess should someone have a run in with one of these cables (I'm sure it has happened).

As a former professional mariner I can tell you they are supposed to illuminate thee cables when they do this...but you and I know that what is in the rule book aint always reality.

Be careful out there guys.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Only time will tell if the survivor makes it and if he is able to remember anything.

11. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with bill if u get in an alcohol related accident im gonna bust ur chops and give u a hard time thats why my parents make me the designated boater or driver when we go out

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    I myself have never been much of a drinker and I was a idiot to get on the boat with dumplins when he was drinking. He is not allowed to drink on my boat. I am the captain of that ship and I allow no drinking. He was drinking when he almost hit that barge, I think he learned his lesson but he no longer has a boat so thats a mute point.