5 dead flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, May 8, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Was fishing below Fairmount Dam in Philly and saw a conservation officer, biologist, and waterworks workers cleaning out the fish ladder. Lying on the ground was 5 flatheads lying on the ground. The smallest was 28lbs and the biggest at around 41lbs (I was able to converse with the biologist). The guys took the fish down by the bank and slip thier bellies and threw them back. The largest flat was still swimming so I was able to go downstream and snag it with my lure (It still fought a little). Took some pics. Man what a shame!!! I was seriuosly sad. If the C.O. wasn't there, I would have maybe tried to do something but his GLOCK scared me off. Just wanted to let you know about the massacre out here in Eastern PA. It gets worst, the biologist said they claen the ladder every 15 days and everytime they claen it, they average taking out 200lbs of flatheads. will try to post pics

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's truely sad. Killing such large fish is a shame. I admit unnatural fish aren't also the best for native species in a waterway, but once a fish gets in there and is able to spawn, they are pretty much there for good and you gotta learn to live with it.

3. jeffmcfish

jeffmcfish New Member

State:
    ohio
    what a shame please post pic's if you can

4. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i know i will turn some heads with this post but i truly rather just take a trip out west or south and catch flatts where they belong. i rather not have them in the eastern rivers. these fish could take out species of fish such as the american and hickory shad, trout, smallmouth and walleye easily out of the upper delaware river. i dont know if its just me but i would bet the biologist knows alittle bit more then we know. and is working for the best for the enviroment.

its is a shame those large fish are killed but its for the best so i agree with what there doing. everyone is making such a fuss about snakeheads when flattheads grow 5 times as big.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I believe the actions you speak of are illegal under the wanton waste laws. I think this is a federal law and applies to anyone. I found this under your states website for wanton waste

contact the PFBC’s Southcentral Region Bureau of Law Enforcement at 717-486-7087 or e-mail Regional Law Enforcement Manager Donald Lauver at dolauver@state.pa.us.

If they blow you off then call the news stations or, man I hate to say this, a tree hugger group. These fish if killed could be used to feed hungry or for research. Just destroying them is unethical and immoral.

I would also file a complaint with the Federal Dept of Fish and Game and your local county attourney. I am sure a fishing judge will have no mercy with DNR who act wrongly and treat them just like the slobs they arrest.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    sounds Like A Good Campain To Get A Petition Started In Your Town Protesting What They Are Doing. Just Don't Sound Right.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Kspor makes a good point, if they are going to kill them off, they should use them for something like feeding the poor. Same for the Asian carp in other places, people have said they aren't bad tablefare, so when caught their should be a place you can take them so they can be filleted up and sold on the market. Also, I don't think the flatheads would wipe out the smallie and walleye populations because where I come from, those fish generally inhabit the same waters and coexist fine. But then again, I don't know anything about those shad or trout.

8. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Yes flatheads can take out other species but so does waste and everything else that gets dumped into the river not only by people, businesses, the CITY its self. I can not see taking these fish out of the rivers when what the people do to the rivers are much worse. There are much better ways to get rid of the fish if need be then by killing them. There can be tournaments to get rid of them and then have the fish donated for food for people or something of that sort. It is truely a sad day in the catfish world.

9. nathan king

nathan king New Member

State:
    vernon tx
    maybe you can get an online petition going if you do id like to add my name to it send it to your state rep and all the rest of the channels too i bet we could get a pretty large one together. that is just pure waste of a species and i would definately say its an unethical choice :angry:

10. pacathunter

pacathunter Guest

i will sign anything you can put together...

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    me too,i'd sign it...

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    This is a total disgrace! If they don't want these awesome fish there than why not sell them to a private lake or transplant them to another body of water. Slicing them open and letting them to die is just unbelievable!!!

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Rediculous to say the least, something definatly needs to be done.

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    just wondering would you guys feel the same way if they did it to a snakehead or largemouth bass?

maybe the other ways like donating the fish would be better but you gotta remember everything cost money, even if they donate the fish there needs to be transportation and cleaning of the fish.

you said that these fish arnt nearly as bad as pollution and other things do to the the rivers, in that sense there would be a lot of things that would be OK just because there are a few worse things that happen? its OK to rape a girl because its not as bad as murdering a girl? its OK steal because you arnt harming them physically. if there are worse things out there maybe you should contact them on those issues.

by killing these fish there returning nutrients back to the water. also helping other species of fish survive without the predator. one of which is the hickory shad which is a threatened species which uses the Delaware to spawn. these 2-3# fish normally only need to get by the striped bass that are native and a few muskies that rarely inhabit that part of the river with all the other fish in the river not large enough to eat them. Flatheads will become the largest predator in the ecosystem and only bad things can come of that.

all together this whole thing is a bad situation and i truly believe the biologist know a little more then we do. just my opinion

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ok, so there are actually people that would rather have a river full of shad than catfish? I remember stories my dad told me years ago of people somewhere in maryland catching flatheads and just throwin them up on the bank. they cosidered them trash fish, and were wanting to catch shad instead. makes no sense to me!

16. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    well its like saying why not kill all the deer because we have cows instead? (yes i know venacine taste alot better but you get the point.) but yes on the delaware river (the capotal of shad fishing) most people would much rather catch shad. pick up the last magazine of field and stream and read the section on the shad king. (photos were taken less then a mile away from where i launch my boat and i fish the areas they talk about.)

i also rather catch the trout that inhabit the upper delaware then flatheads. flatheads would be fun to catch so close to home but theres a place for them. thats why there native in some locations. one day proably all the rivers and lakes will have the same 5 or 6 fish that can adapt the best because they will push out all the native species. flatheads would most likely be one of those species. i rather travel and catch many kinds of fish then just introduce the so called best fish (catfish, bass, panfish) into every water system across america.

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have caught my share of flatheads and even snakeheads. I released everyone of them!!!! Why??? I do not believe in killing something just because they do not belong. It's not thier fault they are there. They are just trying to live like you and me. Respect all species.

18. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    do you kill bugs and mice in your house? better yet, if you had cockroaches would you kill them?

19. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did you get pics of them in the act of doing it? If so, that's what the media wants to see!

20. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    ramrod i dont think that could work because they are honestly doing the right thing and the habits of the Flatheads will be exaggerated like snake heads. they will say its a non native species that is killing native species. then they will say stuff like people have drowned when large Flatheads have bitten arms and legs (not mentioning that the people were noddling) they make out Flatheads to be this crazy fish thats out to eat everything in site and if you been fishing for them you know thats not true in fact a lot of times there picky so i dont think the media will work to great.

i dont wanna start an argument but its a non native species that doesn't belong and i dont see a problem killing them if its gonna protect the ecosystem.