5.7 X 28mm ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by bootshowl, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Got a mail flyer yesterday from BPS and saw on sale a pistol and cartriges for a 5.7x28mm. New round for me. And the pistol is an auto platform. What is it's purpose for? All my books are old like me. And most hunting pistols are revolver or single shots....curious. The unit was over 800$ too!
    It is a centerfire, 40gr V-max. I'd read about the V-max bullet. But I never heard of this caliber before.
    :confused2:

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Boots if its the round I'm thinking of I first saw it demonstrated in the late 90s at a SPEC OPS demo.Auto pistol ,virtually no recoil,good velocity,hard hitting but the bullet stays in the body which is always a concern for the operators.Dont want penetration in a hostage rescue situation.You could really hammer a man sized target on auto because of the light recoil or double tap with ease.The round looks very much like the 17HMR except center fire and 22 cal.The weapons are starting to become popular and even appear in the latest spy novels.No one has hit on a rifle yet but give them time.:smile2:

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
  4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Cool, thats exactly the pistol that came to mind when you described it.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    OK, I'm interested. But give me that cartridge on a short pull turn bolt with a skeleton stock and a clip mag. Let it have a 16 inch barrel that takes down like an AR7. Put it in a nice carry bag with an extra clip and a quick detachable scope mount or better yet integrate the mount on the receiver. May have the best survival unit yet....
    Hate to see them emphasizing the armor piercing characteristics.
    I'll be watching for this one. Bet it takes off.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The armor-piercing capablities are due to the projectile itself (no lead). I'm pretty sure that type ammunition (aka 'cop-killer') is not legal for the general public, but the V-max bullet is designed to fragment on impact, which would not allow penetration of armor, thereby it would be legal.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
  8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I read somewheres that this cartridge can punch through soft armor (kevlar) at 200 yards!:eek:oooh: