Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doug and I (Aquaman) Launched out of Leesylvania Thursday morning and due to the water conditions we were limited on where we could fish! Water was the worst I have seen it in the short time I have been going to the Potomac. We got bait easy right around the corner for Leesylvania and decided to chance crossing the river....About half way we thought we may have made a mistake!........Finally, drenched clothes and all we safely arrived in Mattowamon Creek. Tried a few different spots and salvaged a decent day of fishing. Nothing to brag about but probably caught about 20 fish total from 8am - 2pm the biggest three being 22 (Dougs PB tie), 27, and 30. Explored around a little then caught more bait then had to take Doug back to the ramp and then I headed back across the river and set up camp in Mattawoman again. I anchored in the same spot we fished earlier in the day. Caught about 8 more fish from 7pm-9pm.........Bite slowed way down at dark, in fact.........Did NOT catch one single blue after dark. .....about midnight the channel cats started keeping me busy! Caught about 10 in less than two hours......Finally needed to sleep so pulled the lines in and wrapped up in my sleeping bag. Woke up about 5:30am and headed up river and fished the main channel.....Caught 3 fish (biggest 12lbs) in about 4hours and decided I was in need of a shower! (couldn't tell if it was me or the shad stinking! LOL)

---almost forgot to mention..........Got the biggest fish of the day right up to the boat and while doug was getting ready to get the fish out of the water all of a sudden it disappeard! lol.........Thought the line snapped but we quickly realized the problem! A 8/0 King Kahle hook completely broke off......(click link for pics)

SOME PICS ARE POSTED HERE:
http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/...EEK 5-6-10/?action=view&current=PICT0002.jpg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug and I (Aquaman) Launched out of Leesylvania Thursday morning and due to the water conditions we were limited on where we could fish! Water was the worst I have seen it in the short time I have been going to the Potomac. We got bait easy right around the corner for Leesylvania and decided to chance crossing the river....About half way we thought we may have made a mistake!........Finally, drenched clothes and all we safely arrived in Mattowamon Creek. Tried a few different spots and salvaged a decent day of fishing. Nothing to brag about but probably caught about 20 fish total from 8am - 2pm the biggest three being 22 (Dougs PB tie), 27, and 30. Explored around a little then caught more bait then had to take Doug back to the ramp and then I headed back across the river and set up camp in Mattawoman again. I anchored in the same spot we fished earlier in the day. Caught about 8 more fish from 7pm-9pm.........Bite slowed way down at dark, in fact.........Did NOT catch one single blue after dark. .....about midnight the channel cats started keeping me busy! Caught about 10 in less than two hours......Finally needed to sleep so pulled the lines in and wrapped up in my sleeping bag. Woke up about 5:30am and headed up river and fished the main channel.....Caught 3 fish (biggest 12lbs) in about 4hours and decided I was in need of a shower! (couldn't tell if it was me or the shad stinking! LOL)

---almost forgot to mention..........Got the biggest fish of the day right up to the boat and while doug was getting ready to get the fish out of the water all of a sudden it disappeard! lol.........Thought the line snapped but we quickly realized the problem! A 8/0 King Kahle hook completely broke off......(click link for pics)

SOME PICS ARE POSTED HERE:
http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/...EEK 5-6-10/?action=view&current=PICT0002.jpg
....after looking at the pics it does appear that I DID catch a couple blues after dark! I guess it's always a good day when you loose track of what fish you caught! lol

·
Registered
703 Posts
Wow Larry and Doug,
Looks like you guys made the best of a rough water situation. That's the way to do it. I was thinking about you guys out there...wishing I was there with you. Boy, this working for a living is really cramping my fishing...I might just have to give it up! Congrats on a great outing and thanks for sharing. I'll be out on Monday for sure.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow Larry and Doug,
Looks like you guys made the best of a rough water situation. That's the way to do it. I was thinking about you guys out there...wishing I was there with you. Boy, this working for a living is really cramping my fishing...I might just have to give it up! Congrats on a great outing and thanks for sharing. I'll be out on Monday for sure.
Thanks chuck! Good luck Monday,....(not that you need "luck") It was a great trip.......Staying out on the boat and looking up at the stars really brings back those memories as being a kid again! I only fished the "spot" for about an hour today landing one fish around 12lbs..........I was kinda fished out so didn't really fish it like I should have.......I wasn't getting much action so decided to move up river and then come back after the tide changed but left before I got the chance to try it again.
I am fishing with Ramon on Saturday out of Hopewell and then might have to take a week or two off :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.