5/5 Grand River report

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, May 5, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Todays trip was with Joe Lewandowski from Erie, Pennsylvania. Joe brought along his 8 year old son Greg who absolutley loves fishing and baseball. My kind of kid!! We started off at 4:00pm with a double in our first set. A pair of channels in the 7-8lb range. Before 9:00pm we had landed 10 of 14 fish ranging from 7 - 12lbs. Water levels dropped about 8 inches from yesterday and anchoring was much easier. The wind however continues to blow like crazy out of the East. I had a blast watching the kid fight all those cats. Reminded me of my 1st channel cat. He was a little scared to hold the fish but when his Dad told him we had to leave if he did'nt he grabbed the fish out of my hands!
    Few pics from today

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Awesome, where were you when I was a kid? LOL Glad to see kids out fishing, he is probably hooked after a string of fish like that.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Dan,
    It is so nice having you on board sharing your river trips with us. Your pictures are Fantastic! I'm sure that young man is hooked on catfishing forever. Thats a great trip for a young fella to take with his dad. Not to mention sharing the experence with a guy like yourself.
    Keep up the good work, and keep the river info and pictures coming.
    Sparky

4. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Thanks for the report. Congrats on a great day fishing.

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I really enjoy it when I have kids out fishing. Some guys get annoyed with all the questions, and the short attention span. Some of the questions they ask make me laugh out loud. Usually theres enough action on the river to keep them occupied and a big cat pulling hard keeps the smile on there their faces for awhile.Not having kids of my own gives me the urge to share whatever I can with as many kids as I can. I was lucky enough to have a Grandfather that enjoyed catfishing and took me with him when I was very young. I'll never forget those times. They were the best days of my life. Catfishing every day, the Detroit Tigers were at the top of the American Leauge, not a care in the world. Heres my 1st channel cat June 1984.

Dan

Attached Files:

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thats a great picture!
    Sparky

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    The DNR's Weekly Fishing Report says flathead catfish have been caught off the Bridge Street, Fulton Street, and Wealthy Street bridges downtown.

Has anybody fished these places? Whats it like there? Slow? Fast? Deep? Shallow? Does this mean fish are moving up stream until they meet obstructions?
    Is anyone finding a pattern in like this in any other river? Fish running upstream toward bridges, bars, & dams?

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    It's typically what you see with just about all fish during the the pre spawn period in rivers with obstructions. Whether it's steelhead,walleye, or catfish they all push up to an obstruction right from the get go and then drop back into different holding and feeding areas. I've fished below Fulton St. bridge with very little luck. Lots of current, not much water. There are holes to fish, but you need alot of anchor. There are also bridge and bank anglers to deal with who generally don't care for boat anglers trying to fish the same water. Pearl St. bridge has even more current than Fulton St. Pearl St. bridge lies just downstream from the last coffer dam befor 6th St. There is a good hole there that is better fished from above than from a boat. I really don't care for the downtown fishing. Just way too much more to offer miles downstream.

Just my .02$

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Thanks Dan, that's pretty much what I suspected.
    I think in some areas catch reports look good, but are really more of an indicator that the area gets fished hard- like downtown Grand Rapids.

I'd rather listen to geese, herons, & crickets than highway traffic and gunfire anyway...LOL
    Last time I was out, several turkeys flew up & roosted in some riverside trees right near where I was anchored. I considered tying on a grasshopper for a few casts up there, but...

10. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I don't put much faith into those downtown bridge reports anyway. In all the times I've fished near downtown I've only seen one fish caught off a bridge. Thers a good chance that the fish people are catching down there right now are channels. Tons of them in the river right now. Alot of folks , some good fisherman too, can't correctly ID a flathead from a big channel.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

I met some guys one night who catch "blue cats", and another once who catches "silver cats"... I wonder if they ever read the size & creel limits in the regulations book? Or if they ever read the regulations at all. They might be surprised.

12. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've heard those ones too. :lol: