Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not fished Badin and I have been looking forward to getting on the lake. I really put some time into planning the trip down, unfortunity the day was a comidy of errors.

I was going to leave the house very early to get to the High Rock Southmont boat ramp to quickly go on the lake and cast for bait get off and go to Badin. When I arrived there must have been a bass tourny. At 5:20 in the morning there was about $1M of bass boats in line to put in. Instead of using my boat I went over to a dock and was lucky enought to catch enough bait for the day in 4 throws. I have bait now off to Badin.

Mapquest says it is 19 minutes to the boat ramp I was going to, it took 34. So what,I was one of 3 cars in the lot. I put the boat in and realized I forgot my tackle bag and my GPS/Sonar, both are on the garage floor. I have never been on the lake and I do not have any map or way of telling depth. I am off to a great start.

I slowy moved from Whitney toward the dam looking for a place to start a power drift. I had a good breeze so I set up just past the bridge about 100-75 yards from the shore. The place looks deep but because I can not read depth I pulled my outboard out of the water while trolling.

Enought complaining. This is a absolutly beautiful lake. I caught 19 fish, 14 channels and 5 blues. I lost both of my sabiki rigs early so I did not get a read on the panfish. The fish liked the shad over the cut up gills. Only one fish with shoulders, one of the blues was 16 lbs. I had some tackle on the boat which was needed, I lost about 5 rigs. The other upside was it was sunny, warm and the was only a minor amount of boat traffic. I am sure LKN was not fishable after about 10am.

I cannot wait to try this again. There are a bunch of places that look like they would hold flatheads (trees in the water next to a muddy bank). I did have 2 blue gills bit in half which may of been a flatty (or a gar or a striper or a sharp rock).

Next stop LKN from this Wednesday until Memorial Day.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
That's a good day on Badin man. Them big fish will give you the slip sometimes, but you did good for a first trip!

·
Registered
656 Posts
the beginning part of your trip sounds ALOT like one of my fishing trips! The only difference is that you still managed to fill the boat with fish, haha. Actually, I tend to do better when I forget something that I think I really need (i.e, net, fishfinder, flashlight, etc.) I think for me I have to have a little bad luck in order to have any good luck, haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.