5/2/09 diversion canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by meanmalibu, May 4, 2009.

1. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    We fished saturday afternoon and late sat night,we ended up with a few nice channel cats and a 45lb flathead.This was my pb on the flathead.All fish were caught on herring and shad.Tried live and cut bream,no luck,bobby
    [​IMG]

2. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the PB! Thats a brute.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice fish !! Congrats.

-Jim-

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, Congrats on the New PB, sounds like a Biggun':big_smile:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nice flatty congrats on the new PB.

6. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the PB that is definately a nice flattie

7. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Way to go Bobby Congrads on PB that boy looks like he has some shoulders on him must have been fun getting him in

8. lakemoultrieblues

lakemoultrieblues Member

State:
    SC
    Congrats on the PB. If there was still any current in the canal that had to be quite a fight.

9. Jeffrey Green

Jeffrey Green New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Nice one for sure ,congrats on the pb:wink:

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Nice flattie!!

I want to break that 40 pound mark on a flathead. I have been at 39 pounds and holding for almost two years!! :smile2:

Congrats!:tounge_out:

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I throw myself on the experienced here.What is the best way or perhaps I should say your favorite way to hook perch and brim for live fishing.I generally use the nose but lately seem to have a problem keeping them alive that way.WHite perch shouldnt die that easy so I may be doing something wrong.:smile2:That would be a first hehehehehe

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jim
    Ive always sunk the hook just under the fwd. end of the dorsal fin about 1/2 inch down............works good and they stay alive usually untill something hits them

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Ken, when you coming down again,I was exercising your secret structure fish Sat night.Some of them devils is plumb mean!!!!:big_smile:

14. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    Jim,I hook them the same way kenny does,Man I cant wait to go try em again! You want to talk about catfish fever!Bobby

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Bobby,do you hook them that way in current?

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jim I always hook live bait between the tail and the dorsal fin through the meat but if you get the bone it will kill them. unless I am using herring or shad then I hook them through the nostrils.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It must be me but lately I have not had good luck with through the nose.If I fish still water or straight down then through the back as you describe is what I do.In current like a river or the canal I prefer the nose because the fish will face the current.White perch are tough as nails.I have threaded one on a hook for drift fishing which is in through the mouth ,out then through the back in front of the dorsal and then in again in front of the tail.So help me I have drifted one of those rascals for 2-3 hours that way, reeled him in ,UNTHREADED him and then watched him swim away.It might be that the oxygen level was low at 25 ft but it shouldnt be this early in the year.Late summer they will die from 25-40 ft typically their eyes will be bugged out showing lack of oxygen.Well see what happens Memorial Day.Thanks to all for the help.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, when I checked oxygen levels last Wednesday in the canal, they were good top and bottom, although on the open water near the middle of Lake Marion, it has started to stratify, with oxygen levels in the 5.5% range on bottom, and 8-9+ % near the surface. Temps in those areas ranged from 64-66 on bottom to 73-77 near the surface. Most areas I checked did not show a problem yet, especially where there was current. Depths checked ranged from 21 - 27 feet.
    I sometimes have better luck in current by inserting the hook inside the mouth and come out the top of the head near the nostrils, being careful not to come out too far back.

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Tommy I didnt think oxygen would be a problem yet.I completely agree with your idea of hooking them through the top of the mouth.I had made up my mind to try that because it seemed that pinning both lips shut might have been the problem.I am going to try your way Mem Day and see what happens.Anybody finding white perch in any particularly good spots???It might be also with my poor old eyes in the dark I wasnt getting the hook through the nostrils and was going into the head.Thatnks to all for the help.:smile2:

20. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jim the white perch are at the end of the canal on Moultrie between where the land stops and the 1st island on the left in about 2-10ft deep. You should be able to catch 25-30 in about 15 minutes. Good luck memorial day.