5-10-08 Pike Island Dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by D_Weezy, Jun 12, 2008.

1. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I went to Pike Island Dam Tuesday to try and catch some catfish. I took my Sister-in-law, her Husband and my Nephew. We didn't catch any monsters, but I did catch plenty of small Flathead catfish (4 lbs. and up). I don't know how many I caught, but it was a bunch. I let them reel in a few of my fish. They caught several themselves and we had tons of bites. I lost a few fish, that got hung up in the rocks. One of them felt like a really nice fish. I took a picture of one, but I did not weigh it. I was too worried about getting the fish back into the water. What a great day. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    catching alot of fish sure is fun, even if they aint monsters..glad to see you release them

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,good to see they were released,good job on bringin em in

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I caught my PB Flathead in the same spot last year. Congrats.

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you catch fish it is always fun, nice pic' maybe next time the big'um will be waiting on you:wink:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Congrats on the catch, when I lived in WV, my biggest from that spot was 21 pounds. Thanks for the report

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    "D", CONGRATS \

We just got done fishin Pike Tues nite n used Shad for bait. At the time we were gettin them too pretty good on it.

??Can u share what u were using for bait plz??

TY

:tounge_out:

8. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can you catch shad at the Dam? I would really like to use something other then bluegill for bait once.

9. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Congrats on the fish,i fish pike island a few times a week and the action is almost always on. Shad stock up at the dams rather heavy a few times a year mid june at pike island is a hot time,but they come early and late just depends on the year.

10. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Can someone give directions to this location. It doesn't show the dams on Yahoo.

Thanks

11. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I found it. So close yet so far away. It is over 100 miles from Ravenna.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Gary, if ya want new PBs u will have to pay for the Flats. I got another 15 miles on u to the NE section of the Ohio River.

:cool2:

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like an excellent day on the water. Congrats

14. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Yea Baitkiller. I know you are right. I use to live in Newell WV. I really miss the river this time of year. It's looking like Mosquito tonight. I will probably fish off the causeway.

15. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I was just using cut bluegill. The shad run the wall at the beginning of the pier. I am sure that you could castnet them. I usually take a load of creek chubs, in my water cooler bait tank. I have not been out to catch any lately, and I did not set my 100 gallon tank up this year to keep them on hand. The creek chubs really work well. You can also catch skipjack from the pier. They are one of the best baits alive or dead, for catfish in the river. My Sister-in-law asked me, when we were going back. :big_smile:

16. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    "D", I will not get to go again till late Aug or early Sept due to being an over the road driver and the "Honey Does" I got to do at the house. When I go I like to do it for at least 3 days on the water. The High River kept this one down.

AND Netman is always welcome!! :big_smile:

With the spawn coming up and I don't like to fish again till the water is back down to about 70 again so go get em boys n girls.

Note: @ least I gots mys "Fish Ohio" Flat fer my "08" pin again. Got it every year except one yr. a Channel since "03" n joining BOC the same yr.

On the road again.

:sad2:

17. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im ready to go fishing at the dam all day every day. I only live about 15 minutes away. Send me a PM and maybe we can meet up one day to do some fishing