4x4 are not

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cliff n york, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i want a 3/4 ton truck, i will tow a bass tracker or a 24ft pontoon. so do need a 4x4 or not:confused2:

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    It won't hurt you come across a real steep ramp, we did in waverly MO. There new one all though it is nice and wide we did play H#(( gettin trailered . Plus if there muddy from high water or just plain slick I don't see it being a bad idea. I own 2 jeeps 03 grand cherrokee (Wifes) 95 Wrangler (mine).
    :0a26:

3. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i pulled my bass boat forever with 2 wheel drive but when i bought pontoon I found that you have to back in alittle further to load and unload wich is still fine with 2 wheel drive but every now and then ill find that pot hole or drop off the end off ramp and will need 4 wheel drive

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    It will depend on the truck itself, what engine you have and tires to a point play a role in it as well. But if you can find a good enough deal on a 4x4 get one you can always go mudding.:wink:

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have had 4x4 trucks since my very first one almost 20 years ago, and would not be without it. You may only need it one or two times a year, but buddy let me tell you, that one or two times may just make it more than worth the little bit extra you pay!:eek:oooh:

I just wish mine was a 3/4 ton, instead of just a 1/2!

Besides, without a 4x4, you would not dare fish here! :wink:

Yes, that is the river bank, I have to drive down the bank, and down the river about 1/4 mile to fish my favorite hole. Getting down is not so bad, but getting up at 3:00 or 4:00 am is a little spooky, especially after a good night's rain! :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

6. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    To me it depends on what you plan on doing with it. I've never owned anything but 2 wheel drive, and dont really plan on getting 4 wheel drive. Even on some of the muddy/mossy steep ramps around here, i've not had any trouble. You're ramps might be steeper than ours, which may cause you to want it, or if your boat is heavy, i've seen some trouble there. We dont get enough snow here to worry about it for that reason, and usually you can go pretty far in the mud if you drive like you got some sense (knowing when to keep your speed up, park on high ground, etc), and keep decent tires on it. I will have a locker/limited slip in my next truck though, that makes a BIG difference if all you have in 2 wheel drive. For me its the maintenance and more to go wrong (diff, transfer case, cv joints). Another differential to change fluid in, transfer case to change fluid in. if you ever have tranny trouble it either costs more, or is more of a pain if you fix it yourself because you got that big heavy transfer case on the back. If you think you'll need it, buy it, if not, dont, and stop worrying about it. 4x4 costs $3-$4k more, and you get less mileage.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What ever happen to walking?

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Four wheel drive doesn't increase your towing capacity infact it's a little less. I have a couple of ramps that I can't use when it's too muddy or snowy because the place to park your truck is in dirt which turns to mud, and yes I've been stuck several times in my 2 wheel drive. There's in most cases no need but like KansasKatter says there's going to be a time or two you wished for it. Depends a lot on where you put your boat in, a steep ramp with just snow could be difference in being able to put your boat in and not getting to go out without 4 wheel drive.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    The beer cooler is to heavy for that long of a walk!!:wink::smile2:

Seriously though, if I had to, I would walk it, but if I don't have to, why should I? :big_smile:

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have bought several 2x4 and will never buy one again I told myself last time I bought a 2x4 that was the last time ever and I have stuck to it. I am always needing it and on a boat ramp it won't hurt a bit, in fact in the winter it may be needed more than once. My vote says no 2x4 never

11. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you can afford to spend the extra money for the 4x4 do it. Having the 4x4 will also open other outdoor opportunities.
    The question should really be gas or diesel? How heavy is the Pontoon?
    I had a king ranch f-150 5.4 liter gas it would pull my 30ft travel trailer 7700lbs but would only get about 5-6 mpg. It would struggle going up a hill.
    I got a F250 power stroke diesel fx4 I get 17mpg pulling my trailer with no problems.
    Downside to diesel is everything is more expensive. They use 15 quarts of oil for oil changes about $70.00 at jiffy lube
    Upside change oil every 7,000 miles, diesel engines are supposed to last much longer than gas engines. I do not know for sure yet I only have 28k miles on my truck? But what I paid for it better last a lot longer. Any way hope my input helps.

12. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    JEFF, looks like a few places that fish at over in Cowley co. on the Walnut river!

13. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    All my trucks have been 4 X 4. You never know when you'll need it. Most 2 wheeldrives are really one wheel if the rear end isn't limited. 4 wheel drive would save you when you went against your got on that steep, smooth ramp and had to ask for help.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If money is not an option get the 4x4. You only pay for the first one, if you continue to trade for the 4x4. You will feeel like you got a bargain the first time you need it.:smile2:

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My two cents worth is, " If you can not afford the extra expense of a 4 wheeler, buy a 8,000 - 12,000 pound winch for the front of your truck."

I have had quite a few 4 wheelers over the years. I drive a Ford F250 4x4 now with that 5.4 V8 in it. Mine is a 5 speed stick with lock out hubs. It gets 12 MPG empty or with a load. Pulling my 19 foot boat with the truck camper on it gets 8 - 9 MPG. I know a deisel would be cheaper on fuel, but they cost an average 5 thousand more on a used truck, and about 8 thousand more on a new one. It would take me a long time to use up that 5 thousand in fuel savings, from 12 to 17 mpg. Diesels last longer too, they will go 400,000 miles easy where a gas job will go 150,000 to 200,000 miles. But when my truck has 150K to 200k on it , Its looking kinda ragged, like I need a new truck. LOL

Two wheel drives come mostly with open rear ends, but you can have new gizzards put in, for about 800, and have a good posi rear end. My Ford has posi rear ends front and back, with BF Goodrich Mud Terrains on it. It will walk threw some mud.

Another difference to consider is weight, my F250 weighs between 6700 and 7000lbs empty depending on how much fuel is in it. An F150 will weigh about 4500 lbs. 4x4 will go about 5200 lbs. In soft dirt - mud - real wet/unfrozen ground, I will flat leave some ruts just driving on a trail. Where Jeeps/ S10s / Rangers dont even break the crust in 4x4.

All things one has to consider. But I think the number 1 issue with any truck purchase is cost. That is why I have a gas job. I wanted to make one payment not 48 or 60. lol lol

If I had only one truck and it was two wheel drive, I would put a winch on the front, with about 150 foot of cable. Then you are not wishing you left your cell phone at home. You are not bugging freinds in the middle of the night or day. You can get your own self out, and maybe some day help some one else.

I have an old F600 1973 that has no brakes, except the emergency band brake. It just stays on the place and if it did not have a 20.000 LB winch on it , I would have sold it long ago. But you would not believe the times I have been real glad I had it and it's 250' of 1/2 cable. If I don't stick a tracter in the spring, my neighbor will. That winch will flat pull a bottomed out John Deere and manure spreder out of the mud. And I can usually get within 250 feet of a stuck tractor. It's handy for falling big trees too, that are too close to a building to chance a mistake. I'm telling you, a good heavy winch is hard to beat. And they have some nice heavy ones out there for 1000 to 1200 dollars.

Thats just my 2-3 cents worth.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

LOL You are VERY close..right river anyway!:wink: