4th of july week 100+ lbs of catfish on lake ouachita

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by WegsXXI, Jul 10, 2008.

1. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey all!

i was at lake ouachita over the 4th of july week and me and my cousins caught 123 lbs of catfish over exactally 7 days on jugs in 3 diff coves! not including the 60+ lb big blue that broke our net and snaped the line after a 12 min fight! :cool2:we used jugs and did great we actually broke it on the 6th day and 7th day didnt catch any due to the boat traffic , fireworks, and 3 jugs were taken or cut :angry:... but it was an awsome week and we cooked up 42lbs of fish for a feast on the 4th and it was good!

anyone on here familiar with lake ouachita? and how are your turn outs? we have a cabin there and do alot of fishin and hunting on the lake....

If you have any good stories on the lake let me know id like to hear them!

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Levi - next time you are on the Lake at the cabin, then give me a hollar!!! i fish the lake as often as i can, and that not been near enough this year!!! The river at the head of the lake is a good place as well.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    My dad used to fish the ouchita a couple times or so every year. He used to go there to crappie fish mainly but would go up there and bait a hole and take mom out and the would catch alot of channels.

One time he and I went up there to camp and fish for crappie using ultra lite rods small reels and six lb line using crappie jigs as bait.

We didn't catch much but all of a sudden something hit my bait and gave me a real big fight. Took me from one side of the boat to the other going around the motor. I sure was scared that whatever it was was gonna get into the motor and tangle me up and break off but somehow I kept it from it. We finally landed it and it was a four and a half lb bass.

I like lake ouchita it is really a beautiful lake and has some really beautiful campsites. I sure would like to go back there sometime.

4. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    yeah sounds good i head there every july and and nov to do some hunting! its my relatives cabin they are there all year round... were usually around islands 15 16 and 31 and have a bunch of deer stands around the lake! love it there cant wait to be back

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Levi! Back in the 80s, when I still bass fished some, I fished Ouachita several times for bass; and a buddy and I set out some trotlines over one weekend. Caught enough for a fish fry. I've always been kind of intimidated by that lake because it's a clear, deep mountain lake, and I'm used to shallower muddy lakes & rivers. I've never jugfished it. Were your juglines fairly shallow, or pretty deep? What bait? We tried shad on our trotlines and couldn't catch a fish; had to switch to fresh liver.

6. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    we keep our lines between 10 - 20 feet and use fresh brim that we catch during the day... they seem to work good and we have also had good luck with hotdogs believe it or not!

7. Wiscars

Wiscars New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Bream and jugging those clear lakes are the ticket. Mono leaders are a must now-a-days with circle hooks . We like the gamma octopus circles in 6/0 but Kahles in 4/0 do good also. Best of all, is that the kids can help catch those bream! It is amazing what a can of worms can yield with kids and jugs. Best of all, you made some real memories! :wink:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you can get them, try using maggots instead of worms. It seems that I can't keep worms on the hook for 2 or 3 kids. A maggot will generally catch several small bream before needing to be replaced, because their skin is so tough. (Much tougher than a mealworm or waxworm!)

9. WegsXXI

WegsXXI New Member

State:
    Arizona
    try a flavor full smelling bubble gum they love that to cuz of the smell!

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great weekend on the water. Great job with the jugs