4th of July and Dreams

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Jun 27, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Last year, FuzzFace, his family and I had reservations for the 4th of July at Kaw Lake, in northern Oklahoma. After we departed our homes, we heard the Corp of Engineers had closed Kaw Lake. A few quick phone calls confirmed the lake's closing, so we ricochet around like a cue ball and headed to southwest Oklahoma and Ft Cobb Lake. We managed to get in at the State Park and had a pretty good time. State Parks didn't recognize the "Golden Age Pass", so it cost double what the fare for Kaw Lake would have been.
    This year we again made reservations to fish Kaw Lake over the 4th of July. We were informed today the Lake was closed due to high water. I started to get my back bent, and climb on my high horse for a few minutes, when I stopped to think of those in the Northern part of this country that has had their 4th of July plans washed away by the floods, and some had their dreams of the future destroyed also. I felt pretty much ashamed of myself. So, as I stop to reflect on this misfortune that has befallen a lot of our fellow citizens, I ask that each of you, in some way, pause to say a few words, think a few thoughts, or possibly do a few good deeds.

2. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Good looking out. We need more people on this planet that are concerned with other peoples suffering and misfortune. It would be especially beneficial to have some elected officials who held human suffering over monetary gain. My heart goes out to those lives ruined by the floods. Wish that 30% of my income paid to the IRS went to those folks instead of paying interest on the debt our federal govt. owes to the Federal Reserve for printing our currency. :crazy:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Man Lawrence that almost put a tear in my eye. I think your right on the money there sir. But, coming from you and your general antics I sure thought that this post was gonna be something else indeed.

To find out that you actually have a heart is real shocking:eek:oooh::smile2:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    thanks for the post Lawrence. my heart goes out to the victims of the floods and tornadoes. it has been a devestating year for storms all around this country. I couldn't fathom the fact that all my life belongings have been washed away!! please say a prayer for those that need it!!:wink::wink:

Mark..

5. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If I might make a sugestion,sucks. I would highly recommend Eufalla Dam, the corp has a campground there that only costs $5.50 a day with a America the Beautiful or Golden Age pass. No sewer hookups but electric and water and even some very nice shade trees. There is a boat ramp just streight across the river on the south side of the dam and you can tie up your boat on the campground side. I plan to be there myself with the Wife and kids ( dogs) I welcome you guys to join us. We can have great fun I plan to bring the bus, my pickup and Deck Boat. The Lord has provided us with a new, to us toon so who knows I still may part with the Deck Boat we can at least talk about it and you are welcome to use it if you like. I put my 65 Johnson on it since it was seaworthy already, in the hopes of saving gas over the oversize 100 Johnson v 6. I hope that you are not mad at me but I needed to have a boat i could use now. The Good Lord gave me the 24' toon equiped with fancy fish finder and a 50 hp late model Johnson and great trailer for $1000 with everything in excelent shape. I may bring it also Like I need to have 2 boats up there. Where is the econimy in that Right!!!

We hope to see you there

Bill Marilyn and Kids

:wink:

6. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah like my Daughter from Bradenton Fl and now I am stuck here enertaing her and her Grandkidsfor a week. Well I have not seen them is several years.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The conditions in that part of the country are very unfortunate and we must continue to pray for all these people and take the time to remember just how blessed that we are. I am thankful for all that the Lord has given to us and I only wish that I could provide more assistance. My wife and I contributed to the emergency fund, but since I am here in Iraq, there is only so much we can do.

It is also important to remember why we celbrate the 4th of July. Keep all of our soldiers: Past, Present, Future in your hearts and minds. We are celebrating the birth of this great nation and the sacrifices that were made to keep it so!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

8. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Thumbs up Lawrence! I've had the same reversal of opinion. We may be inconvenienced by high lake waters in our area, but every time it happens there are families somewhere who are in distress.

Larry