4th annual Catfish gathering Bylthe-2009

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by SandyCatfish, Jan 3, 2009.

1. SandyCatfish

SandyCatfish New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    We need to get the dates down. Seriously, by a fluke it was not that hot for the 3rd annual gathering first part of July last yr. I would like it to be the first week in June, before the real heat sets in or late May. Dale organizes this thing....just putting a bug in to get the dates down early...ok

2. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Sandy the 2008 gathering at blythe was June 6,7,8th.

3. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Good Evening Sandy and Bill,
    I'm 5months new to the area and would love so much to attend my first gathering so I will be following this thread very close :dribble:. Now for my questions being that Bylthe is in CA would I need a CA fishing license and would there be camping permitted? Kinda anticipating the event just want to get my fish in line so I'm not running around with my head cut off. Thank you for any info.

4. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    hey Joe,
    Im pretty sure if your fishing from a boat,whitch I would highly suggest unless your fishing the canals you just need a river stamp to put on you regular liceance.

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Jo, woodchucker is right. if fishing the river, just get the river stamp on the az license. otherwise, need a ca out of state license. yes on camping there. nice grass to set tent up on. or bring motor home if got one. they meet at mayflower park right on the river just above blythe. not much shade in it though.
    soon as i get back into it good, we should get together. i live here in yuma also, and so do several others on this site and bob's local site in yuma.
    gary

6. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Oh Sandy! you must have been bitten buy the gathering bug. I told you wouldn't be disappointed. For those who don't know the local BOC folks from Az & Ca put on a gathering on the Colorado River north of Blythe. Some attended last year for the first time and had a blast. I'm sure more about this years gathering will be posted.
    I'm the T-shirt guy. As soon as a date is decided please send me a PM with shirt size and quantity. I will post a pic of the new shirt. I try to stay with neutral colors. Something that hides dirt, dust and stink bait stains, But not to dark so they wont be to hot to wear.
    So a search for last years gathering. Tell your friends. This is a real good time to be had by all.
    Start tying your rigs now so you wont have to do it in the dark!

7. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I've been waitin to hear something about the gathering in Blythe. I have never attended, but I will not miss it for nothin this year. Say the word and I'm there, as well as some other guys from Cen and Nor Cal. Late May or early June sounds good. I would probably push for late May, but I'm not getting it together. Anything past the first week or two in June may be a little too hot for some of us not used to the heat. Fresno gets pretty hot, but not desert hot. I will let other Cali guys know to check out the post. Can't wait to get some dates. It is time to request vacation days so let us know what's up. Thanks.

Sean!

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    All AZ/CA members,

Dale (Riverbud) is the main guy to be putting this together. In the past we have had the gathering just north of Blythe and have had some really fun times. I know that Dale was entertaining the idea of having the gathering down river around Walter's Camp / Picacho. I don't know where the gathering will end up for 2009, but I am game for any location. I like down river because it is new territory for me and will expose me to learning another part of the river. At the same time, there is nothing bad with favorite spots either.

Ultimately a gathering is a good time to relax and spend time with other fishermen addicted to catching fish...primarily catfish. I have gotten to know a bunch of really good people from gatherings and the BOC.

As far as when the gathering is held, it makes no difference to me. It would be difficult for me to make it during the weekend of the 30th of May, but I am just one voice in the pot.

Just be patient for Dale...I am sure he has a ton of things going. Besides, we have a long time to get things rolling.

Ryan

9. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC

10. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok just got back from the ol river late this afternoon, been gone since the day after xmas, weather cold and more then enough wind, dang got up this morn and was 31:crazy: and the water low-low and really cant say I did much fishn ether,:smile2:

Was going to get something going on the gathering when I got home but it looks like ya all beat me to it:cool2: I would think the weekend of the 5/14 to 5/17 would be the best, will be a week before the full moon and give us some early moon light, the week before is mothers day and the week after is memorial weekend, or in June 6/11 to 6/14 would also be a good one also, it would also be about a week before the full moon, and the weekend following would be fathers day, think it always makes it a little safer out on the water/river at night for the unexperienced. Don't really care were its at but don't think ya can hardly beat the the Mayflower for camping got nice spots with grass and shade, and doesn't cost a lot, and i know theirs some big fish that roam the area:wink:

would guess we need to get a thread going in the gathering section, so as the CA folk know whats going on and it all gets put together on one thread, Ill have to do that later on tomorrow

Attached Files:

11. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dale,

Good to hear from you...still need to give you a buzz.

Just out of curiosity, are my eyes seeing things right...did I see the boat docks upstream from Hidden Beaches sitting on sand??? :confused2:

If that is the case, the water is really low...maybe your pals at Hidden Beaches should be making adjustments to the boat ramp...that would sure be nice.

Thanks for update.

Ryan

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Really good times for catching flatheads has been in May and June. Recently the events been in June but there was also the first 2 years there was one in April and one in May. The heat really starts to kick on starting mid June and on. If its the weekend before memorial day or the second weekend like the 8, 9th and 10th that would be fine. I do know that quite a few peple May attend the Clear lake derby that month too on the 15th thru 17th. What ever you decide should be suffice. I normally do a seminar in May there as well. Early June is also good all the way thru the mid month. But come after that - the Heat is on!!!! LOl. Soon as a decision is made I will mark my calendar. Would like to see everybody again and hang out. Little B been asking about you Dale!

B

13. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hello all, Well finely went to the doctors 2/5 and he told me what I didn't want to hear, going to operate on right shoulder within next two weeks. will be in a sling for 3to6 weeks, then no big movement like casting,hookseting or lifting for 3to6 months. will take about 9 months for full recovery, then will be as good as new. ( I hope). Going to have to play this fishing season by ear. Just want to let you know this will not keep me from the river, may not be doing a lot of fishing but I will be there to keep Ryan and Dale in line. Guess I will have to learn to drink Beer with my left hand, Wait I don't drink beer, Guess I will have to get out the green bottle I have at Dale's place. It make me happer anyway, can't talk to well but well be feeling a lot better. See you at the river.
    Bill

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ok I was wrong :crazy::smile2:, was reading the moon phase calender wrong:embarassed: the full moon will be on 6/7, I think this may be the best weekend for it, 6/4 to 6/7

ya Ryan the docks were all hi and dry, mite have been a foot of water at the camps dock, Had the big flush of the river on the 2nd, once a year they open up all the gate on dam and all the crap that's built up behind the dam over the last year gets flushed out seen huge trees come down river and there 1000's of tons of new sand get washed down river that has built up behind the dam

Attached Files:

15. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    While I favor the May dates (not quite so warm) early June will work.

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    May or June will work for me,, July have some other crap goin' on,,,,, She told me....

Looking forward to all this,
    Thanks for the river pics and update, Dale.

I'm thinkin' of getting over there maybe Wed. the 7th, and look around,, If things work out...

17. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Any of those dates sound good to me Dale. Will be waiting for official date to include on my vacation schedule.

Sean!

18. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I suppose I should start saving up gas money to make it down there... I mean here. lol. Give me whatever dates you pick. I will say, that I would prefer it to not be during the full moon but you know i'll be fishing here before and after anyways lol. Kind of getting the itch. Wish we could just skip this stupid winter thing.

19. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sorry about your shoulder Billy. I sure could use you at my place, I have a lot of digging to do. Maybe you can swing buy and supervise.
    Keep me posted with the gathering dates. The river is not that low by my place. I'm just outside of Palos Verde. Might be a good time to hit the old river as soon as duck season is over. Dale you know where to lunch at. Give it a try!

20. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Just like I told "Dale" in the Ca. River Talk area:

You know that you can count me in again this year, "if I have to get my gear together & start walking from Northen California Now". :confused2:
    (LoL:happy:)

(Just Kidden')
    :0a23:
    But - I'm hoping to fly down there again and meet up with Tom or Ray and ride over to the river with them (if it ok with you Guys).
    :wink: