4LB TEST AND A 4FT ULTRALITE CATCH

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by twisted, Jun 24, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

I caught this 3lb cat on my 4ft ultra lite set up with 4lb test for crappie and silver perch.

[​IMG]

also caught htis 7lb carp on the same pole.

[​IMG]

catching fish of this size on lite tackle is a blast.

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice Catch !!! :big_smile:

3. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks guys, the drag was properly adjusted or i was lucky. i caught a 12lb carp on this same pole two years ago but i was using 6lb test.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thatys sounds like fun.Caught a 12# cahnnel one time on my little boys 202.Man you talk about a fight.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice catch.

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its a blast catching big fish on ultra light, though i dont try it very often. Fishing in the current makes it that much funner. :eek:oooh:

7. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    UL tackle and big fish are just plain fun. My PB best flat (22 pounds) was caught on my UL with 6 lb. test and I caught a 31" carp on the same rod while catching gills for bait. Fun, fun, fun :wink:

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the pics brother. Must of been a blast to catch em on UL tackle

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on your lite line quest. That shows you are giving the fish a fighting chance. Nice job on using the proper drag. WTG.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My PB on 4lb test line is a 27lb. Carp. You need the drag set just right for the conditions or it's going to break!! A smooth drag is a must for light line. Believe me, Carp can fight just as good as any other fish can. They pull like freight train too!! It was a blast!!

My brother-in-law and myself love to do this when the Carp are going strong near our cabin. We use ultra-lights to challenge our skills and go for the biggest Carp.

11. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have a buddy that caught a 60lb carp on 12lb line said it took him 3 hours to get it in, only thing i was thinking was man that had to be one hell of a time. Congrats on the big fish can't beat catching something huge on gear thats not meant to handle it and still being able to bring em in.

12. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    2lb test 5ft UL

Attached Files:

13. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    well done! must have been a good fight.

14. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    It was pretty fun was'nt it, I like to break out my ultralite sometimes for a little extra challange.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love catching cats on light gear! There is nothing like it in fishing. Anymore I try to avoid it because the larger ones tend to mess up my small poles and reels.

16. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    My biggest channel on 4 lb. line was 28". Also caught 30" carp.

17. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks guys.it was alot of fun. i use the ultra lite for catching bait but sometimes they catch the big ones too!

18. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I once got a carp around 30" with 4# test. What a long and tiring battle that was. work it in, out it goes, repeat many times. took about 45 minutes to finally get it. Probably the most fun fish I ever caught. considering the tackle, it was like a River Monster.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Man that's fun! I caught 2 6# channels back to back fishing for bait. Had a Shakespear micro-spin, and 4# test, and those micro bait hooks for the tiniest of perch. Had itty-bitty pieces of worm on. No idea how I caught or landed either of them, but I did, lol. You will remember that catch.

20. twisted

twisted New Member

i have one of those fishing stories that no one will believe. my buddy was fishing with those super tiny hooks for small bait fish and landed a 15 lb carp. im not sure how the hook even set and once it did why it didnt break. :eek:oooh: