48 lb flathead catfish on the Colorado River

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by riverbud55, Jun 7, 2006.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    well got back from the river last nite after a 10 day vaction, made 3 all nite trips up the river in my ol cat-toon, the first trip sat. nite was with blue(flat)hunter and his son, he end up with a 20 and 35 and I end up with a 8 and 30 my bigest ever at that point

the 2nd trip was wed nite and was with a buddy from camp TJ. got a lot of runs but just couldn't hook most of them, tj had a run and got the fish all the way to the boat and the big fish spit the hook at the side boat about half way into that fight i got big hard run on my big ugly stix tiger rod after about 10 or 15 sec i put my penn321 in gear and let my 8/0 gami circle hook do its job at first the fish didn't seam to be very big it made a fast short run and then started giving in and got it near the boat and then it turned to the boat and ran to the boat at first i thought i had lost another fish but reeled like a SOB and cought up with the fish about 15 feet in front of the boat as soon as he felt my 40lb maxima line tighten he turnd and ran out 30+ yards fought it back after a few more short strong runs the thing went to the bottom and was like pulling car off the bottom with a fishing poll finley got its head up and at the side of the boat and grabed it by its lower jaw and pulled in my biggest flat ever at 48 lb

then sat nite TJ and myself went up river and meet up with Bluehunter and karodi (keith)in his boat and catmando in his boat and a martinman from AZ in his boat all them dudes got some flats in 5 to 10 lb range, on my boat i got 1 run all nite but that was cool I had my fun earler in the week but my buddy TJ got a 28 lb and a 38 lb

well got back from the river last nite after a 10 day vaction, made 3 all nite trips up the river in my ol cat-toon, the first trip sat. nite was with blue(flat)hunter and his son, he end up with a 20 and 35 and I end up with a 8 and 30 my bigest ever at that point

the 2nd trip was wed nite and was with a buddy from camp TJ. got a lot of runs but just couldn't hook most of them, tj had a run and got the fish all the way to the boat and the big fish spit the hook at the side boat about half way into that fight i got big hard run on my big ugly stix tiger rod after about 10 or 15 sec i put my penn321 in gear and let my 8/0 gami circle hook do its job at first the fish didn't seam to be very big it made a fast short run and then started giving in and got it near the boat and then it turned to the boat and ran to the boat at first i thought i had lost another fish but reeled like a SOB and cought up with the fish about 15 feet in front of the boat as soon as he felt my 40lb maxima line tighten he turnd and ran out 30+ yards fought it back after a few more short strong runs the thing went to the bottom and was like pulling car off the bottom with a fishing poll finley got its head up and at the side of the boat and grabed it by its lower jaw and pulled in my biggest flat ever at 48 lb

then sat nite TJ and myself went up river and meet up with Bluehunter and karodi (keith)in his boat and catmando in his boat and a martinman from AZ in his boat all them dudes got some flats in 5 to 10 lb range, on my boat i got 1 run all nite but that was cool I had my fun earler in the week but my buddy TJ got a 28 lb and a 38 lb

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attac...0&d=1149656729

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attac...1&d=1149656729

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attac...2&d=1149656729

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'm glad to hear he put up a good fight! Congrats on the fish. I'm excited to try my luck on the Colorado soon.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on your new Personal Best. Sounds like a great weekend.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Dale,
    "Your are just down there doing it"! :0a23:
    "Those falts don't stand a chance"! :big_smile_2:
    "I'm happy for you buddy - Congratulations"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on doing it, but save some for the gathering next year. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dale,

I love your new profile pic. That is one nice fish you got there.

Thanks again for letting me tag along with you. I really enjoyed it.

Martinman

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Wow, thats fishing! Congradulations Dale, on that fine catch! Sure makes me want to go back down there!

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Great job Dale!!!!
    WOW!!!

My best is not even half that!

YOUR THE MAN!

8. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    All I can say is congrats and ditto on the quote.

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I grew up in Tucson but never fished for flatheads untill I moved up to MN. The Colorado River is sounding kinda like exotic flathead trip I'd like to make one of these days when can I make it down there for a visit. The fishing up here has been great this year, but it would be a nice change of pace fishing somehwere you aren't covered in mosquitoes all night and freezing, its June and we are back down into the 40s at night!:lol:

Nice fish!!!:big_smile:

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I think I need to see one more giant cat fish in your hands before I am floating down the river with you..

~ Hope you pull another hog out on your next trip.:smile2:

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Way to go Dale! Sorry I missed the last gathering at the Colorado. I am still angry at my self for not maintaining my truck. I also read an article in the fishing report where they mention your name and the flathead you caught.

Jaime

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya andy havnt been to the river as of late but going this next weekend going to be meeting up with billyjo. hope its going to be as good, should be done spawning or nearing the end.

jaime dude, long no here, hope its all going well, been doing any fishing? Man the river has been on fire down there, some day soon i'll get ya down there. them big flats are fun dude

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hey Jaime hows it going? I will be making an appearance next week or shortly after on the Colorado now that I have a 2 week break. Catmando suppose to be along with me for one of those trips. Been laying low lately.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    B. H., Catmando & Dale :eek:oooh: - Now I Know That The Flatheads There Don't Stand A Chance. (lol)
    :0a23:

Take it easy fellows,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

15. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Hey Guys,

I was hoping to be down on the river this weekend, but I am babysitting instead. I am going to do my best to get on the Colorado on the weekend of the 7th and 8th of July.

I will try and keep you guys posted. Ultimately, as Dale mentioned, you will know if I am on the river or not when you hear me start up my roto-tiller motor!! :big_smile:

I hope that you guys tear the flatheads up this next weekend.

Ryan

16. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Nice fish!!! To me that's what it's all about. There are some big ones in the Colorado for sure. Flats are my favorite thing to fish for. Just one big run like he made will get your heart going for sure! Best of luck.
    :cool2:

17. Husker

Husker New Member

State:
    Scottsdale, Az.
    Nice fish. That's the way to spend a 10 day vacation, on the river enjoying life.

18. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nice catch, looks like you had alot of fun.

19. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun getting that one in. Congrats!!!