47 lb. Blue Catfish 6-4-2006

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, Jun 4, 2006.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Had a wonderful day today with Randy Johnson and his Dad from Englewood, TN. I'm sorry, the only name I remember for Dad is "Mr. Johnson." We loaded 'em up with about a 100 lbs. of eating-sized catfish for the freezer. Then we went looking for "big fish." The sun and "no breeze" was about to bake us off the water, that is until Randy got bit... and bit hard! Many heart-pounding minutes later we had a 47 lb. blue flopping in the bottom of the boat. After taking pictures (which ain't easy with fish that size)... and letting the adrenalin wear off, Randy and his Dad tagged a 20 lb. fish each. Add in one more 14 lb. squirt, and they released 4 fish that totaled 101 lbs. Not a bad day on the Tennessee River.

Attached Files:

2. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    WOW nice cats.. you really put them on some nice ones. those are some nice cats. hook me up sometime? take me out to catch some monsters.? i'm kinda new to the TN river. i'm here in clarksville and have been trying to explore and try the Tn river..

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Nice fish there. Looks like the size is moving up for you now.
    How deep are the fish hanging now?
    See when you have someone that can catch fish its better. Not like when you had Bubbacat with you. LOL

Pete

4. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Awesome catch there brother! Good to see that people are hauling in the hawgs now! Maybe they are done with spawning and ready to eat? :eek:oooh:

I'm hoping to get my boat out on the lake sometime in the next month to try to catch some blues in deeper water, myself. Give us the details so we can emulate your success! :big_smile:

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The 47 lb. fish was in 50 feet of water... a hole where the main channel falls from 15 to 50 in a hurry. My typical pattern is 3-way swivel... 3 oz. sinker on a dropline app. 2.5 feet.... 7/0 Daiichi circle hook on dropline app. 1.5 feet. I will vary dropline depth on different rods... more dropline in slack current, less in heavy current. Fish hold tighter to bottom with heavy current. I prefer drifting with current (if there is any), using trolling motor to keep drift slightly slower than current (lines just barely trailing back). However if no current, I ease along slowly with trolling motor to cover more water. Don't let sinkers drag or you'll hang... use constant, gentle up-down jigging feeling the sinker constantly "thump" the bottom. Just keep doing it until something "thumps" back. Don't try to "set" circle hook... let fish take rod tip to the water and then start reeling.

6. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Sounds like you have some great memories out of that trip. I hope to have one that good some day! Hope to see you on the water.

Daryl
    Aftercats

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What a wonderful fish!!! Having just started Catfishing again, after not doing so for over 40 years, yours is the size I would like to quickly work up too!
    Who knows how large this fish will eventually get since you released it unharmed!:smile2:
    Congrats on that catch. I hope you have many more and even larger ones in your fishing days ahead.
    This being my second post I hope I got everything right!
    Best Wishes,
    Coyote1

8. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You got it right... thanks for kind comments. And may I say that is a stellar Avatar! :big_smile:

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ed, looks to me like you got the posting down pretty good. I'd like to welcome you to the BOC! We're happy you've found our little place on the net. Now relax and enjoy all there is to see here. Won't be long til you'll be pulling hogs in like the one above. You'll see. Again, welcome to the BOC!

10. catface

catface New Member

Way to go.Great job.
    Makes setting in the hot sun worth it all.
    Joe Bruggeman
    Catface

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    That is the same way I fish here at Pickwick. And it sure lets you cover a lot of water and find the fish faster.
    But yesterday it was hard to fish. Waves were 3+ ft here and out of the north. so that made them run over the current. So that made it tough.
    Pete

12. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I know for sure that Richard's methods work! Keep up the good work!

13. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    rsimms;
    "Thank You" for the kind words about my Avatar.
    But to be honest, it was the only recent photo I had that was on a disk of somekind and without the help of "Whistler" I would not have gotten it posted! I'm not all that computer literate and, from my point of view that is, there are a LOT of things I've got to learn about the "In's and Out's" of getting around the BOC website! I'm confident I can learn to do it, but it will take this "Old Dog" some time to learn the "new tricks". :)
    Thanks Again.
    "Walk In Peace"
    Coyote
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]