45's

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by derbycitycatman, Mar 25, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im talking myself into buying another pistol. Right now I have a 44Mag 6 shot that is going to be used for hunting. Now Im thinking a carry pistol. I know a 9mm or 380 will put a hole in something but Im looking for a little more stopping power. Ive also been told those two are not too reliable if say someone is trying to run you over and may bounce off the windshield. I know not likely. One main reason im thinking 45 is the stopping power and it's got to be lighter than my 44mag. I also have a 45 tommy gun looking rifle so Ill have two guns shooting the same ammo. Any reasons to not get a 45 and maybe some guns to avoid. I will most likely get a used piece and Im thinking 1911 action.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cant go wrong w/ a 1911. I have several, Colts being my favorite.

I do want to say though, that my dad recently purchased a Candian made Para Ordance "Warthog" .45. The gun fits in your hand and that's about the size of it.... but get this: it holds 11 rounds. (10 + 1) !!!!!!!!!

3. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bryan, I have a Stainless Warthog .45 3" barrell. Wonderful gun! Its NOT a 25yd gun, but thats not what it was designed to do. My SIG 220 will shoot cloverleafs at 25 yds, but is a bit too big for all day carry. FYI the warthog will shoot 11 shot clusters at 15 ft, so thats all I need.:wink:

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Brian ya can't go wrong with a 45, especially if yer used to a 44. The best buy right now is the Taurus 1911. I don't care for the key lock feature for the hammer, but my kids are grown also. I'm not a fan of the Colts. Just never could get one that didn't jam now an again. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry using Wilson magazines. The Kimbers are great and the Para Ordinance also. I've been wanting to try a Para LDA with the double action only feature, but haven't got the chance yet.
    You have lots of choices now. All the "majors" make 45's, and 45ACP revolvers are back in vogue also.
    :big_smile:

5. coble9

coble9 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you are dead set on a 45, sounds good to me, but if you are just looking for a little more stopping power, consider a .40 S&W. I had a HK USP in .40 S&W and it was light but controllable. 13 + 1 cap. It was extremely acurate, and of the aproxamately 5000+ rds I put through it, not one jam. And that includes all types of ammo, from speer gold dot and hydrashocks, to wolf and the cheapest plinking ammo I could find. I had a springfield mil spec 1911 and it was a pos. It jammed frequently to say the least; but not as much as me DE .50ae. I know it isn't the 1911 design, it is combat proven and the most popular gun design ever. I am just saying that if you are getting a 1911, get a good one, or you'll regret it. I was extremely happy with the HK, surprisingly. At first I didn't know what to think about the "plastic" frame.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    45 sounds good they shoot good too

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like the 1911 and 1911 variants as much as anybody else, but dont rule out Glock. I am an avid Glock shooter. I own several, about every variation Glock makes in .40 cal. My guns get used, alot. Never a failure or problem. Glock makes 3 .45 auto variations. The Glocks are lighter, and very comfortable in the hand. They shoot very well. Check out the Glock website for more info. If you have never shot a Glock, I highly recommend you go to a shop that has a range and give one a try.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 45 is a great choice. The only better choice would be a 46, but they don't make it yet, LOL. You can get a small 45, like the Kimber ultra carry or a Colt Officer's Model. I've got an ultra carry that I've had since the first year they came out with the stainless model and still carry it. It works great and is highly accurate and dependable.

As far as the 45, there's lots of choices of ammo. I carry hollow points mainly, but even if you use FMJ ball ammo, you still get a hole the same size as the smaller calibers with hollow points, IF they expand. Expansion is always questionable in handgun rounds at the velocities they run at, especially when you factor in going through barriers such as cloths and such. When the hollow point fills up with something, they usually won't expand. That's why I like the 45, don't matter if it expands or not!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot a ruger p 90 and the wife shoots a p 97, both .45's. have killed a lot of game with mine, and i always have it with me. since you have been shooting the .44 mag, the .45 acp will seem light kickin for sure. great round.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a Llama 1911 knock off in .45 ACP and it's a good gun.I've had it for a good many years and shot it a lot with never a jam and I think I could hit what I need to with it but then again I can say the same about my Glock 30.

11. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    I could not agree more, .45s are nice , but a .40 wouldn't be a bad choice either. A little smaller and lighter. I have a Glock model 21 that rarely leaves my sight, however when loaded with 13 rounds of lead its quite heavy and I'd love to purchase a sub compact .40 or even .38 to make carrying not such a nuisance. Also I'd also like to not have ringing ears after firing a shot, which is not gonna happen with a .45 without earplugs.

12. cdsova

cdsova New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've got a Ruger P90 .45 ACP, awesome gun. Good power in the rounds, but not nearly enough to feel awkward when shooting. Clip holds 7+1, but you can buy clips that are 14 or 15+1 (looks ugly sticking out the bottom though). I can fire 7 rounds with a 1 foot grouping at 25 yards in about 10 seconds, very comfortable to shoot. If you really want to maximize your damage, spring for some 230 or 190 grain jacketed hollow points, that's what I load in bear country. However, plinking ammo is very cheap, but will still do damage (50 count 230 gr for like 10 bucks)

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I HAVE A GLOCK 22 40 S&W AND ITS A SOUND SHOOTER, IT DOESNT JAM AT ALL. IT HOLDS 15 ROUNDS OF GOLD SABER. THE WAY IT WAS TOLD TO ME, IT HAS THE KNOCK DOWN OF A .45 AND THE VEL OF 9MM. 40 S&W THE OTHER 10MM.:smile2:

14. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i like the kimber ultra carry. i also like the glock g36.

15. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Derbycitycatman, as a former LEO and soldier, I have to say that the logical choice of weapon is the one that fits your hand the best, reliable in function, comfortable to carry, and the biggest caliber that meets your foreseeable need. If it doesn't fit properly, you won't hit the water in the lake while standing in it. If it isn't reliable, be sure you can throw it accurately. If it isn't comfortable to carry, you won't. Proper caliber, the .45 is never wrong. FBI studies on shoot outs reveal 100% one shot stops (not kills) with a .45. Personally, I like the 10mm, lot's of horse for the ride and will kill just about anything in nature (bear) or man-made (car):wink:.

16. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Para ordanace pistols are great guns. I have a LDA and it is very sweet to shoot. Trigger is so soft. Like squezzing soft butter. Alos very accurate. They will cost a little more though. Any 45 that fits you good will be a good choice.

17. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    spring for some 230 or 190 grain jacketed hollow

I'd try the 185 grain Federal Hydro shock. Good spead even through hair and/or winter clothing.:wink:

18. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I carried a Colt series 70 for many years, but the Para Ordnance P12 is what I shoot now , just fits my hand better.

19. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I first fired the M1911A1 in 1982 when enisted in the navy and was amazed at the fact that I could consistently hit a target center mass at 50ft with the way that the gun would rattle when you would shake it. I have fired many pistols in different calibers since then and I have found that the good old gov model .45 is a solid weapon.

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I shot Colt .45 Acp's for decades, but, I found something better,,,, KImber .45's.

caliber is pleasant to shoot, extremely accurate, triggers are just beautiful. powerful enough for most work, except heavy hunting,, like, mammoths, teryldactyls, etc. easy to reload, and get components for.