.45LC for a deer round?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by LoneRanger, Nov 18, 2005.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

I want a lighter round for our Florida deer (southern deer in general) I have always wanted a .45LC for some plinking and have found some pretty hot rounds for them and am wondering why you never hear of anyone using them for deer/ hogs?

Marlin makes a nice saddle gun with a 20" barrel in .45LC I have been thinking about.

thoughts?

L.R. :cool:

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    .45lc could perhaps be the most underrated round there is. I cant say much for rfiles as the onyl ones I've owned was the Puma .454/45lc level action & it was horrible, but as far as a handgun load it can be loaded HOTTER than a .44 Mag & almost as hot as a .454 Causul. I wouldnt recomend shotting those out of anything less than a Ruger Redhawk/Blackhawk.

3. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    It's a great round for deer assuming that you can place accurate shots. A white-tail deer is not all that tough and you can easily put one down with a 45 assuming that it is close enough and it is a lung or heart shot. I recommed a lung shot seeing that a deer can be recovered shot with about anything in this area because it takes its breath and the lungs fill with blood, I've seen deer shot with .22 mags shot from about 30 yards or less recoverd because of the accurate shot. If you wanna bust one with the .45 then go out and buy one and do some plinking to get good and wait for a good close shot and you'll have venison piled up within 70 yards of your stand.
    P.S.- I've seen deer taken from even farther with .22 mag when it's a head shot lol :D .

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We have a buddy that lives down by our cabin. he was out of work a few winters ago & fell upon hard times. He shot (yes poached) a few deer. His weapon of choice: .22 Mag (In Ohio we cant use rifles regardless wheter the caliber. His family ate all the meat & everything. They didnt waste anything. He shot all Does. I cant really fault someone that does that)

Back tot he .45LC. Winchester makes a nice round in their Silvertip Hunting line. I'm not 100% positive, but I think they make a .45LC in the Partiton Gold line too. Both are great hunting rounds.

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

I think I am going to try and find a .45LC lever gun and get out and shoot it. a lot. as much as possible (that I can afford anyway) and go from there, I know personaly I wouldnt think twice abotu shooting a deer with my .22mag, and I know I could drop it at 80 yards fairly easily. but alas its illegal. :sad: and rightfully so (IMO) outstanding circumstances aside-

thanks for the insite-

L.R.

6. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

So, which one? Winchester model 94, or the Marlin CS rifle?

L.R. :confused: :cool:

7. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    I would buy the Marlin before I would the Winchester for the simple reason you can mount a scope on top of the receiver of the Marlin. The Winchester ejects cartridges out the top so no mounting a scope there. I have several Marlin lever action rifles and a couple of Winchesters. I prefer the Marlins over the Winchesters. They are both made good but I like the design of the Marlin better.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also perfer the Marlins over the Winchesters, but there are scope mounts for the Winchesters, they are weriod as heck though. Buy a Marlin, you wont be disappointed.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger New Member

you 2 made it an easy choice!

thanks,
    L.R. :cool: