.45 Long Colt Opinions

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Poppa, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am thinking about getting a S&W model 25 Mountain gun. I have a mod.
    29 8 and 3/8 barrel 44 mag that I sometimes hunt with but it to large to
    carry on a regular basis. I also have a couple of .38 specials but I want
    something with a little more ump. I want a large caliber handgun with a
    4" barrel that I can carry in a shoulder holster for personal protection and for the
    coup de grace on game. I do not want a .454 or a .500. I want something
    thats fun to shoot. What is your opinion on the model 25 in 45 long colt.

2. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    taurus judge 45lc plus you can have the option for 410 with 3inch 5 pellets of 00 buck.which the pellets are stacked in a roll in the shot shell.like having 5 36cal ball flying all with one pull of the tigger:wink:

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    freedom arms carry 45 long colt in it !!

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Poppa, was it me flush enough fer another pistol, and ya already got a 44, I'd check out a Blackhawk single action with the shorter barrel, cheaper, and yer still stocking shells for both guns. How does your smith like 44 specials?
    And if ya want the 45 long colt, which I've never heard anyone "dis", they make em for that too. They are fun guns, especially the cowboy loads. And good for whitetail also, with a fullhouse load.
    I like the smiths, but think they are overpriced for the meantime.
    :big_smile:...just me.

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never shot .44 specials in my 29. It has a red dot scope on it and
    I have only used it for deer hunting using fullhouse loads. I like the single
    action Rugers but I am kind of leaning to the double actions right now but
    I am at the research stage. I am looking for something that will never be very
    far from me and I plan on keeping for the rest of my life.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  6. BubbaCat

State:
    Arizona
    Isn't the model 25 mountain gun the same frame as the model 29 ? :confused2:

7. BubbaCat

State:
    Arizona
    lookeded it up it is n frame also .
    holy hanna about fell out of my chair when i saw the msrp !:crazy:
    you can get a ruger gp 100 in 45 long colt for half, at 40 oz don't know if it would be fun to shoot! ruger also has a alaskan in 45 long colt 41oz
    guess you will have to get your hands on a few to see what you like .
    you could get a single action ,like a ruger vaquero. and go cowboy action that would be the cheap part. the accessarys could break you .:smile2:

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I believe a Ruger single action in 45 Colt would be a good choice. A single action revolver is a fine carry piece in the outdoors. I think you could deter man or beast with an accurate 45. I built a 45 Colt on a black hawk frame, with only a 5 shot cylender (stronger for more powerful than factory loads); I love the gun for open carry in the woods. This is not my idea of a carry piece in the city, however.

9. m slayton

m slayton New Member

State:
    florida
    you said for a carry gun correct? tauraus judge as other members mentioned is your best bet. my wife bought me one for a wedding present i do love her and the wife to lol.since i got the shortest version available at that time didn't shoot the 3in mag tho i wanted it to be short and light . they now offer a public defender model that might be just for you either way the 45 long colt is not a very low bugdet round so if you shot lots save the brass and reload em or pay 35-50 bucks a box.that said i retired the judge to his home under the bed /bed side table gun /if lots of money to burn very fun to shoot :) gl p.s 400-600$ is about the going price also great hog hunting gun if you get the longest model the tracker shoots the 3in mag 410 shotty they shoot slugs to but y bother the 45lc are cheaper then 410 slugs

10. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    .45 colt and love it . I reload with cowboy loads so there a little soft but the thing shots good. The mod 25 would be a nice choice ,very manageable shooting double action leading to better groups. My colt look alike loves 200 gr semi wadcutters an lays waste to armadillos :).

11. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Are you stuck on a wheel gun ? if not you could get an auto in 10mm or .357 sig.

12. IFitSWIMS

IFitSWIMS New Member

State:
    indiana
    I own a m25 mountain gun in colt 45 . It is a fun gun to shoot but with the right ammo it can also be a serious a$$ kicker. My gun is blue with a 4 inch barrel so i can conceal it if i want(yes if done correctly you can conceal an N frame smith) good all around N frame to own.

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    To update this post I finally bought the Mountain Gun
    in .45 colt last year. I got the 4" stainless and I love
    it. Its fun to shoot and as you said Mike when loaded
    right it packs a big punch.

14. CaptLeo

CaptLeo New Member

State:
    SC
    ditto.

I used to carry a Ruger Super BlackHawk .45 LC, with the ammo custom-reloaded a bit hot when I was in AK hunting for Kodiak Browns. I had bought it feeling that I had a very nice round with plenty of punch to it, but then discovered that the .45 LC factory ammo is under-loaded, so it doesn't pack as much of a punch as you would normally think.

I, too would strongly recommend going with the Ruger Super Blackhawk in a .44 Mag, which will pack much more of a punch than a .45 LC, has about a 6" barrel so easier to carry, and would save you from having to buy separate ammo.

15. WalkAlot

WalkAlot New Member

State:
    central IL
    If you reload, 45 colt might be a bit more powerful than 44 mag. That said, all of your factory ammo is weak in 45 colt unless you buy from a small ammunition loader and get Ruger only loads.

Also, if you get an N-frame, which you did, you it has its limitations as far as hotrodding goes, with either 44 mag or 45 colt.

I have a 4 inch 629 in 44 mag and a 7.5 inch super blackhawk in 44 mag. Both have their place.

If you load, you can get whatever type of ammo you want.

Flamethrowers to popcorn farts, either cartridge is very versatile.

Brett

16. treidm

treidm New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    It may not be a factor, but for a USA Made gun (Which matters to many), Ruger is hard to beat for price to quality

17. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    There is load Data for Freedom Arms and Ruger large frame ONLY that puts a 325 grain bullet just over 1500fps out of a 7 inch barrel. That is well over 1600ft lbs or energy and 360 grain bullets at 1300fps!

The 44 magnum +P loads with a 320 grain bullet is around 1300 FPS and 1300 ft lbs.