45 HP Chrystler not shifting

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BILLYP, Mar 1, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    It starts easy, and the idel is perfect it just won't shift into any gear. The prop turns freely. Could it be the teeth on the gears, or the whole lower unit?

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    You'll have to give some more details. What does it do or sound like when you push the throttle forward to shift it into gear? When the motor is not running and the throttle is pushed forward, does the prop still turn freely?

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It possibly has a busted shear pin. Pull the fly wheel and check it out.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I DIDN'T EVEN CHECK IF THE PROP STILL TURNS IN GEAR. Ill check that out tongiht and keep you all posted. When you put it in gear it only sounds like its in neutral. No grinding or anything like that its like it's not even engageing just staying in neutral.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Ok what am i looking for for the shear pin? Is it right under the fly wheel?

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Give me a sec, I have been havin a lil trouble w/an evinrude, a fella by th name Willard King has given me some help, he sent me a site, I'll send it to you, ok.

7. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    on th transom bracket you'll see you serial # and model #

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    that plate is gone, ive been looking for it for weeks now. I found the place that it is supposed to go, but its not there.

9. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    look for bubbakat or Willard King on here, he's been helpin me w/my motor. he might be able to help you to.

10. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I'll send Bubbakat th info on your delima, he's not on right now, but I'll try to help as best I can k bro.

11. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Thanks man, I sure do appreciate it.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billy I am assuming that you have taken the cowling off and had some one check the movement of the shifter arm while trying to get into gear.

I am also assuming that this is a remote stearing with shifting cables.

13. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    yeah the arm is moving but not alot, I also checked and the prop doesn;t move whle in gear.

14. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I know this sounds real obvious, but have you made sure that the knob (button) on the controller is pressed all the way in before pushing the throttle forward? If the knob is pulled out, when you press the throttle forward it only revs it in neutral. Pushed in makes it go into gear as you push the throttle forward.

The model number and serial number are not on the transom bracket with Chryslers but rather on a metal plate under the cowling directly under the carb. The model number will start with "45."

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the cable loose from the shifter at the motor and then try to put it in gear. The cable could be out of adjustment or just plain streached.

16. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    The cabels are working good, and I know about under the crowling. But the plate is gone all that is left is a little peice of where it was at. It will shift into gear when it is not started, but when you start the motor it just dosn't shift? Imm really tired of this motor, but I don't have enough money right now to buy another one.