.45 acp question

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Bayoubear, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    ive got a buddy lookin to buy a rock island arsenal .45 acp 1911
    any tips, comments, suggestions, ideas on this....
    im a springfield armory man myself but hes getting a good deal..
    should he or shouldnt he....
    ideas???

many thanks

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Several years ago I went to the gun shop intending to buy a Gold Cup Wound up with a used Sig P 220. I like it to good to ever go back to a 1911 type. If we all liked the same thing it would be pure hell. Try it you might like it.

3. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I don't know anything about Rock Island handguns but you never know till you shoot one ,I have a Glock 30 in 45acp that I like and I've always liked the 1911 colt 45acp but I wound up with a LLAMA in the 1911 style and it shoots good,goes bang every time I pull the triger with no yams and hits what I point it at so I like it.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a Springfield .45ACP and love it. I did have an off brand but didn't keep it long. It was a "Jam-O-Matic". 7 in, 7 out that's what matters.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The Rock Island units aren't the high end. And man ya take a beaten trading anything these days. I like the Springfield, and Kimber. I read Taurus is coming out with a 1911 & I've yet to get one of their guns with the lifetime warranty that wasn't decent. One trick for the 1911 guy is the Wilson Magazine. They cost about $28 a piece, but worth every penny. Most of the problems with the jam o matics turns out to be the mag. I've been at the range more than half a dozen times with a fella cussing out ole slab sides....hand him one of my Wilson mags...and he's off to the shop to pick up the fix for his ailing gun. Also 1911's that are "tight" need lube. The ones today don't "shake" like the ones we had in the service.
    The newer tight tolerance guns need better maintinence. Don't give up on an out of the box unit until you've put 500 rounds thru it. A new 1911 needs broke in. But the Glock or Sig will shoot good right out of the box.
    The Ruger "P" series pistol in 45ACP I think is the best pistol for the money.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've got a Glock 21, .45ACP, It's never failed me once, even after wrestling hogs in the swamp !!!.

I had a P12 Para-Ordnance, it only liked certain ammo, NOT the Glock though, it will digest ANY ammo.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I just hate those Glock pistols. They are as pretty as a staple gun. The damn things won't misfire. They shoot any ammo you can scratch up. You can run over em with a jeep burying em in mud, blow the mud out the barrel and they still fire. You can soak em in the bilge of the boat, shake the water out and they fire. You can tie em to the anchor for the weekend and they still fire....When it's time to clean em, hell ya can't tell. And you can wipe enough oil off the top of yer nose to keep em lubed. You don't have to etch the magazines to keep track of which one might be failing cause they don't fail. And to add insult to injury when you go to point shoot the darn things they make you feel like ya know what you're doing and are a real dangerous individual! And they cost less than a pretty gun! Somebody ought to do something!
    :cool2:

8. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks for the posts, ya'll are pretty much echo-ing what i told my friend in the first place but he seems to be getting a great deal on the thing so i guess he's going to get it anyway.
    thanks again...
    bear

9. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I carry a Sig P220 .45 as a duty gun (issued) and have no complaints but I do prefer the hammerless guns like the Springfield XD and Glock. I also own a Ruger P90 that I bought in 1995 that has yet to have a malfunction and think its well worth the money but I would recommend a Springfield or Glock. I just bought a Glock 33 in .357 Sig that has more punch than any other auto caliber that I have shot, love this one. 1500 fps and 575 ft lbs is hard to argue with. Have fun! Chris

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    kno what you mean... ive always been a springfield a-1 man myself. then again at six four and almost 300 lbs the a-1 with +p+ ammo has only moderate recoil. the weight is also a non-issue with me but for others i can certainly understand it. glocks and their kin... im not a fan of plastic weapons. im fully aware they are fine firearms, tough and durable... admittedly more so than a springfield a-1... but again cause of my sheer size when i pick one up i just dont like the feel of it. pick up an a-1 then pick up a glock, its like night and day. to me, and this is strictly personal preference talking here... one is a toy and one is a gun.