45/70

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by C Hill, Aug 15, 2003.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    does anyone know why the ballistics on these arent that great?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 45/70 was originally a black powder cartridge developed for the military way back,when there were no such things as ballistics,it had power ,both killin and stoppin. Today it it revered as one of the favorite long range steel shilloet rifle cartridges. known as the gun that shoots today and kills tomorrow. My dream rifle is a 1885 Winchester highwall falling block single shot in this caliber.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I had the same dream Reload, exept mine is a 45/120.:wink: I keep eyeballin the Pedersoli's in the Cabela's catolog, just cant squeeze out an extra $1900.00 anytime soon. :confused2:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    When reading the paper ballistics of the 47/70 from the comfort of safety, then they don't look that spectacular.

However, if you were downrange of the cartridge, then I'd suspect a person would have a different view or respect of them, LOL!

Ballistics tables are what a cartridge can do on paper. Actual performance is what a cartridge will actually do in the field.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the 45-70, for it's heavy, slow bullet, actually has as much or more energy on target as the .30-06. once you have it sighted in, it will kill anything on this continent.