44 magnum

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by C Hill, Mar 3, 2008.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    im tyring to get a 44 mag before springbreak for a hoghunting trip in arkansas. i dont want to spend any more than around 600. i've looked at the ruger redhawks, but thats about it. i want a 6 inch barrel. does anyone have a suggestion? and how well would it work on boar out to 50 yards?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shoot a redhawk and they are nice guns. Had a trigger job done on mine and put pachmar grips on it.If ya hand load for it, pm me and i'll send the load my gun shoots best. It likes max loads better than anything. I tried several bullets and powders formulating a load it would shoot best.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago I had a Ruger Black hawk single action 8" barrel, it would hit a beer can at 100 feet, 5 out of 6 shots. Awesome gun. Serial number was 00085, the 85th one made, and darn it, I shot it and later traded it for a .45 Thomson look alike with a 30 round clip. That gun was fun too.

Check out the Black hawks. You can't go wrong with a Ruger, absolutely fine guns.

A 44 Mag will drop a hog like a lead balloon. It won't know what hit him.

Check out different gun stores and a lot of times you can find a real good used one. My boy picked up a stainless mini 14 at Bass Pro for $300 used. Gosh that gun is like new. And it is FUN FUN FUN to shoot. Put it next to your hip, finger threw the trigger against the hip. Wiggle it once and 30 rounds are gone in a couple seconds. LOL LOL

Sure will put the Fear of God in the neighbors dog. lol And only used 20 dollars worth of ammo in 2 seconds. lol

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Chase I think the best advice I could give you would be to take your time, and pick out a "Gun of the Hand", that fits your hand. There's a lot more fexability built into a rifle. You most often can conform your body to the long gun, but if the pistol doesn't fit, feel right; you got some troubles. That's why so many manufacturers are offering the newer model unit with grip adaptors to fit hands of different sizes. For the larger caliber hunting guns this trend hasn't caught on yet.
    One of the biggest selling points of the old peacemaker was it fit so many hands so well. But it had a lot less recoil also.
    As you look, be sure an check out the Ruger Bisley model when you look at the Blackhawk. Also the Anniversary models have the smaller grip of the originals and flattop that made then so popular and missed. As you look em over you will see how much difference there is.
    :big_smile:

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shoot a super blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. it will smack a hog way past 50 yards if you can hit it. you can usually pick up the blackhawk cheaper than the redhawk. think about this- do you really need the double action for hunting, in situations where you are most likely to be shooting single action anyway? boots is right about what fits your hand. the difference in grip comfort will determine a fun gun to shoot or one that hurts, especially with this round.

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a friend that's had the Super with the 7 1/2" barrel too for I'll bet 30+ years. He can shoot better than anyone else I've seen with a handgun. As these guys say I'm sure it fits him and he's fired thousands of rounds through it. I had a Super with maybe a 8" barrel and missed several deer with it. Good gun lousy shooter. Went back to slug guns.

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's a Super Blackhawk I'm talking about.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I recently bought a 44 mag Taurus, stainless steel with a 6 or 6.5 inch barrel and I love it, $350 used. Im getting fist sized groups out to 35 yards or so. Out to 50 yards I have some practicing to do, but I think with the right load Ill be fine. I plan on using it for deer next year and the year after......

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with the black hawk style. i had a red hawk for a few years then traded it for a supper black hawk. nothing mechanically wrong with the red just didn't like the abuse. with "Kieth loads" the hand took a beating! the way the black hawks plow handle is shaped it handles the recoil much better. you will appreciate it on the bench for long periods of practice.(which is essential for accurate hand gun hunting)

and yes its plenty for a big pig.

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know how much energy is left out to 50 yards but I went shooting yesterday and was picking off antifreeze bottles at 55 yards stepped off. I was shooting about 3" low from where I was aiming but Im starting to get more confident around 50 yards. I dont think I want to shoot much farther than that though.