435 weir dam reminder

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by flat fighter, Apr 14, 2008.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    i watched two guys come down on the north side of the river then propmptly leave. About 30 minutes later the showed up on the south side of the river and proceeded to fish. Not an hour after they started to fish they were visited by union pacific railroad police and issued tickets for trespassing. Just a reminder to all that fishing access is only allowed on the north side of the river. Trespassing by crossing rail lines is punishable by up to a 10,000 dollar fine and is strictly enforced down there. Trust me i found out the hard way and saying "I DIDN'T KNOW" does not fly with them guys. Hopefully this will help someone :smile2:

2. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    it's kind of sad with as much riverfront area as there is around here, there aren't many places to fish from the bank.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Who can you write to get this changed?

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i doubt it could get changed because its the railroad. they purdy much get what they want.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You must be talking about bank fishing. If so, you aren't going to be able to legislate legal trespass on another persons property.

Navigable waters are legal to fish from a boat as long as you do not step ashore onto private property. Some folks will try to run you from feeder creeks while you are in a boat but tell them to go ahead and call the cops as you are not trespassing in a boat on navigable waters.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I noticed that one of my old favorite spots got plastered with No Trespassing signs from the railroad this year. Yes, you have to cross the tracks there, and no, I didn't. Also effective 3-4 years ago, it's actually a Kansas state law that says you can't cross a track at a location other than an approved crossing. That's on top of the Trespassing issue, you could be charged with both.

The railroads are worried about safety and liability of course, and last year a bunch of them launched a big enforcement campaign. I think it sucks, it's no more dangerous than it used to be, and one of the things that the railroads promised back in the days that they were granted imminent domain to get a hold of the land was that the right of ways would not become a barrier to land access. A millertimemarine said, it blocks off any legal access to huge swaths of the river bank.

But yes, they are serious about it, and unless you have a lot deeper pockets than me you will probably lose out in court if you get caught.

Did I mention that I was getting a boat?

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    yeah it blocks off alot of river access !! there are tracks that follow the Kaw for 90 % of the length of it

8. anchorman

anchorman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I work indirectly for the railroad producing their anchors that hold the tracks.All railroaders say the same thing ,KEEP OFF THE TRACKS, always! Haven't fished where your at but hope this might help understand why the railroad is so picky. Still doesn't get you a full stringer though.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i wonder how many grey area spots there are because ive walked along the tracks a few times to fish the kaw and havent had trouble ...yet. also one spot i fished has a crossing with sighns, there is a no tresspassing sighn but on the other side there is a stop sighn:confused2: whats the point of a stop sighn on the other side if nobody is supposed to be there? were are you not suppose to tresspass?

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Crossing the tracks anywhere that isn't an approved crossing is against the law in Kansas, just like running a red light, speeding, etc. If there isn't a road there, it's a safe bet that it's not an approved crossing. A road generally means that there is a crossing, but if it's signed No Trespassing, then private property law comes into play.

My other gripe is land owned by the Army Corp... the levies along the Missouri River. These are all signed No Trespassing, too, blocking access to hundreds of miles of river bank.

11. whllh

whllh New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Thanks I Guess. I have been planning to fish a spot I used to use about 15 years ago on the Kaw. But I do have to cross the tracks and there is a no trespassing sign there. The signs look very old and rusted but I guess if enforcement is going on and fines too, I'll have to find another place or get a boat. Anybody know where to get a free boat?

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    got a 17 ft'er here in topeka for sale. its in the family so it aint goin nowhere if yer interested. i'll get some pics for ya

13. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    What about going under some train tracks that's on a bridge? Anyone ever fish off K 32 of 59st knows what I'm talking about.

14. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    unfortunately you are still tresspassing they own the land under also.

15. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hello All! I'm a new member, and was reading your alls post. I work for the Union Pacific RailRoad as a conductor. I come down the Kansas Sub. about every other day from Marysville, KS all the way to Kansas City, KS. Passing all of the River side I believe you folks are talking about. I will do some research, with the company and the RR Police and get you all some confirmed information. I live in Edgerton, KS and set most my lines at Hillsdale Res. I am going to really start fishing the Kansas River from now on. I WANT TO CATCH BLUE CATS!! That's the idea anyway. Well, good luck fishing everyone, and I will get back with you all soon as I can.

CircleHook Jester

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    yer a good man Jester !! thank you very much. i was thinkin bout tryin to get a job with the railroad just to cross tracks without gettin in trouble !! :wink::smile2:

17. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No problem! The UP is hiring like crazy right now if anyone is interested in being a trainmen. I don't know if that will help our "catfishing cause", but it pays great, and the benefits are incredible. Maybe they have an employee clause, who knows??!! But, I will be finding this out!

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Um i talked to a levie worker in ottawa about fishing the levie and he said its all good but your walking. i thought the sighn said no tresspassing or maybe no tresspassing by motor vehicle not sure on this one now that i think about it maybe it said permissoin only I dont know:confused2: Id say ask they told me i could fish anywere that i wanted to walk too:confused2:

19. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thad please keep us posted.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Thad, Welcome aboard! Anything you find out would be appreciated. I've talked to several of the train operators who were sitting on the siding waiting for another train to pass. They have always been real friendly, asking how the fishing was and all.