435 dam channels

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by flat fighter, Jan 13, 2009.

1. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    The channels are biting at the dam i have been down there the last 3 days in a row fishing in a hole they dredged out at the bottom of the dam. The channels are using it to winter. I've been catching them on premo and sonnys consistently they wont bite anything else but there is good fishing to be had if any of you guys want to give it a try. Just thought i would spread the word i will be down there this weekend hopefully catching some more:smile2:

2. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Hey thanks for the report. I am gonna try to get down there this weekend too.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Thanks for the report Trevor. Worms may be worth a try too, I've had pretty good luck with them in January down there in past years.

4. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I am pretty sure thats where he is talking about. I have never fished there but I stopped by there last week to check it out. There was about a 20lb Asian carp on the bank and a common carp that was probably 40lbs. It looked like a good place to bank fish.

5. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    ya troy that is it i was catching them on the north side of the dam where they are digging it out

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Sounds like a good place to head this weekend.

7. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    they have all been in the 1 to 5lb range all good channels. I am going down there this weekend if they are not working. If they are working they will not let you down there too much heavy equipment movin around.

8. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    I was planning on going down there today but its 12 degrees and snowing out. I'll go tomorrow, its supposed to be in the 40s. Thanks again for the report

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I drove across the bridge yesterday and they were working the heavy equipment, so Sat might be better. It also looked pretty icy below the dam, it's hard to tell from that far away, but you may need to pack some extra big sinkers to break through it. Upstream from the dam is a big ice jam that probably won't melt until June :crazy:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Lots of floating ice on the river here in Topeka also.

11. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Went out today. Above the dam was all ice as well as below. I had to walk a good ways down stream to fish. Wish I could have fished right below the dam. The dam is up and holding water now. I fished with worms, sonny, livers, live sunfish, and cut sunfish. Did not get one bite. I think I saw some bald eagles though. It was a nice day to be out.

12. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I went sat night and where i had been fishing was frozen over so i fished the south end of the dam by the fast moving water and got some decent bites but struggled with the floating chunks of ice i am going to go back on wed hopefully some of the ice will melt off