410 slug?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by takeaction, Oct 23, 2008.

1. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I have a problem that I need help with...

I have always hunted with a HIGH power rifle. My first deer rifle was a 30-06, and the next year, I upgraded to a 7mm, which is what I've hunted with during gun season since. I have NEVER had a deer run with the 7mm. I shoot, they drop, no exceptions...

I had to sell my 7mm because we would have lost our house if I didn't. I am now without a rifle at all, except my .22...

One of our friends died recently, and his girlfriend got everything. She wants to give us a .410 shotgun. I have NEVER used one of these and am wondering the damage they do with slugs. is the deer going to run? I only take shots that I KNOW will be good shots. Any information will be appreciated. She is waiting for my response. I won't get it if I know the deer could possibly be wounded and still live a horrid life with a bullet in it. I know .410 is a very LOW powered shotgun, but don't know about the slugs coming from it.

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    IMO your really easily going to damage the animal VS. kill him with that low of a gauge.....You would have to be pretty close too and I mean SURESHOT I think it would be tough....

3. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    you would have to be right on top of the deer to kill it with a 410 and i dont know if they even make slugs for that low of a gauge. but you should sell that 22 and that 410 and buy a 12ga thats what i use and they have all sorts of differnt slugs you can put though it. but with that 410 all your gonna do is wound the animal

4. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    That's about what I thought. I'll have to pass on the 410, and just wait. On our land, I have 100-350 yard shots. Having said that, the 6 point I killed was only 25 yards away. He walked right up to us before turning to give me a shot. LOL 7mm mag at 25 yards... OUCH The 10 point was at 125 yards, and 2 does were killed at max range (they were at the creek) 350 yards away. Those 2 years we had meat for months. :smile2:

Oh well, at least she was thinking of us! :cool2:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The .410 is illegal to hunt deer with as far as I know in most if not all states. Check your regs.

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I have never shot a slug through a 410, but I know they make them, and I also know they are illegal to use in some states that don't allow rifle hunting. I wish I could!! The powder in the cartridge is caparable to the slug. It is not a 12 gauge slug with the powder of a 22 rifle. Just my 2 cents, but I would think they work just as good as any other shotgun. Just remember, its all about shot placement - Not blowing off the back half of the deer when you hit it. :wink: Again, just my $.02

7. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I can't find anything in our DNR book about 410 being illegal, and I know they were legal in Arkansas 10 years ago. I checked before I posted. :smile2:

Doesn't matter though. with the information I've gotten already, my decision is made to leave it be.

8. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a relative who has used the 410 with a slug take deer out to around 75 yards with no problems. Most of the time the deer did run but not that far. Most of the deer he killed with it while I was hunting with him ran at most about 100 yrds or so. He was a crack shot with that thing. The entrance and exit wounds were comparible to a 30-30.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Take the .410 slug is okay you can get it in a 3". My son killed his first deer with one an it only ran about 50 yds and dropped like a rock.

You will have to be closer to the deer than you would a rifle but that shouldn't be no problem with a old pro like you. Shooting a deer at about 50 to 60 yds out with it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way my son was only twelve when he killed the deer with it.

If you don't think the .410 is big enough you can probably find a 20 or twelve gauage single shot pretty cheap and shoot slugs thru it.

I used a twelve gauge for years before I got my rifle and killed some nice bucks with it too.

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    But I do agree that a larger gauge would be MUCH better. The 410 is a good gun within 50 yds. I Agree that you could take it and sell it for a 20 or 12 gauge.

11. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I really appreciate all the replies. btw, I am no pro hunter. LOL I've only killed maybe 25 deer in my 39 years. And most of those were does or very small bucks with a bow. The biggest I have ever killed was the 10 point mentioned. hehe I "have" let several bucks walk though, because I didn't feel like shooting them... I just think (and this is JUST ME so don't think I'm saying this to everyone) that a monster buck is majestic, and I just can't shoot it... I only hunt for meat anyway.

I might tell her that I will accept it. It is indeed a great gift anyway, and a part of my friend that I will always have. :smile2: I will NOT however go hunting with it until I see the power of it... I will take it to Columbia on our next trip and go to the indoor shooting range and throw a few slugs through it to get use to the gun and the sights. Once I am comfortable with it, and see the power, only then will I decide. This wouldn't be a problem, but I have some saying it's a good gun, and some saying no, so test will be run before I decide. It will be the ONLY gun I have capable of downing a deer (well legally anyway) that I own... And I can teach the grandkids about guns with it too! (with bird shot of course and not slugs! LOL!) Autumn, our 9 year old has already looked through my scope on the .22, and I might let her shoot it after deer season is over this year. Will have to wait and see though. She VERY rowdy and rambunctious (spelling).

Again, thank you all for your replies.

12. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Sounds like ya got a good game plan.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Wayne I was just looking at the Indiana deer hunting regs, they are very conservative, and they allow 410 slugs. (But no buckshot in any gauge, which I agree with wholeheartly).
    Good luck.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have seen the .410 slug kill deer. some dropped, most ran, but all were recovered. proper shot placement and reasonable range (-40 yards) is absolutely necessary. that being said, there are way better choices for deer and other medium sized game out there. does this shotgun have rifle sights? if it's just a bead sight, i wouldn't even try it. i know i can't hit with a slug worth a crap past 20 yards, and most deer are encountered way beyond that range. good luck hunting!