.41 magnums

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by bw69r, Oct 25, 2008.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    does any one else hunt with this gun. if so what kind of big game have you taken with it? what do you think is the best factory load or loads that are out there for deer hunting?

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I hunt with it about every year, I have a 41 Magnum Ruger Redhawk and a deer within 75 yds is DRT. If I had a lever action in 41 it would be anything within 150yds.
    Ammo is a tricky item as many loads are under powered. There some companies doing the round justice though and Midway sells a lot of them.
    210 grain SWC loads will easily take deer and smaller black bear. The 265 grain are over 1100 ft lbs and will work for almost all the rest North American Game except the Grizzly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=3&Categoryid=7551&categorystring=653***691***

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Federal 210 grain JHP, stock #41A, for deer and boar.
    Winchester 175 grain silvertip HP, for deer.
    Put yer ear plugs in for either these units, and give the other guys on the range line a heads up for you let go.
    :smile2:

4. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I loaded some 220gr semi jacked rounds that were coming out of the barrel over 1500fps. Loud did not describe it. A friend that is a well known gunsmith was there and we checked every thing and it was not showing any signs of high pressure and the cases fell out easily. I told him the load I was using and he said I should step up the powder a little and see what the round would do. I had foam plugs and a head set on and you could watch the sound move down the range, They had boxes above the range at 10, 25 and 50 yds filled with sand to keep you from firing over the backstop, when you fired the round the sound waves would cause sand to fall from the boxes as it went by. We also came up with a 45acp load that pushes a 260gr bullet out the barrel at about 900fps and in a silenced gun is amazing.
    Boot, you liked the 175 silvertip. The ones I got did not do well, I was shooting them form a Redhawk and it just did not get good penetration. It opened very nice but it seemed to lack punch. I did pull some of the bullets though and I am going to load some and see how they do. I was more impressed with the

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Kip, that Redhawk is a beefy unit. That load probably would of stressed my S&W, 657.
    I like the silvertip in a Taurus 425, which is a tracker unit, 5 rounds, and really a easy packing pistol. In the S&W I use the Federal load. They also used to make a softpoint, that had excellent penetration, but I haven't been able to find any of late.
    Wish the 41 had a larger following so we'd have more choices....but I think we are in a "cult", LOL.
    :smile2:

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I Agree, Check out the link I posted for Midway, they stock the largest selection I have seen for the 41, from 170gr to 265gr. I would LOVE to try some of the 265gr out of a lever action!! Someone used to make a 300gr Keith style but I cannot find any now that I want some.
    Hey If you split any case mouths you can cut them to 1 inch long and load them to a 40 S&W loads and they are a BLAST!! I will slip one in to see how bad someone is flinching. I want to get the 5 shot Taurus for this round as a plinker.