40 hp mariner 2 slow

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by turtle, Sep 5, 2006.

1. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    Hello everyone. I have a 16 ft v bottom lund with a 40 hp mariner it might go 25mph i am wanting to go faster with out buying a bigger motor is there any thing i can do like put a hydrofoil on or different prop or any performance upgrades on the motor. Thanks for any input

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Can't tell you exactly without seeing pictures of the boat and how it's set up.

25 mph does seem a bit slow for that boat.

Post some pics of the motor set up and the inside of the boat.

3. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    actually i think that is a good safe speed for a 16 foot boat. I have a tracker pro v 16 w/ 50 hp merc with just me in boat it'll do 29 mph GPS'd with 2 more people in boat cuts it down to 21 mph or less. and it depends alot on how it's loaded, running up river, and many other variables as per my experiances with my own boat.

4. turtle

turtle New Member

State:
    Mo
    I would take a picture of the boat but i dont have a digital camera. Has anyone put a hydrofoil on there boat and was able to tell a differene in top speed or is it a sales pitch.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It's not a sales pitch, and hydrofoils aren't design to gain you speed, just easier and quicker planing at slower speeds.

Check to be sure your plate on the lower unit, just above your prop, is even with the bottom of the hull.

If it is, then when was the last time you had a tune up?. If the set up is right, and you know the motor is running well, try a different trim angle on the motor.

Next thing you need to consider is the weight factor your carrying. Are you a heavy weight and what's the load your carrying?

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i have a 16' flatbottom river jon with 40 hp mariner i have gps'd at 32 mph down river on chop , but it wont always do that. it helps to have new plugs and the gas mixed just right weight does effect it alot as well as tempature and airflow . heres what you need to do ride in a slower boat for awhile then get back in yours its not bad 25mph is real good if you want faster get a bass boat with 250 merc 76 mph , speed dont catch fish

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    You can get a diff. pitch on the prop, or go to a speed prop, or just stay with the power prop, speed prop will make go a little faster but will nothing for you in the weeds, thats where the power prop comes in to play ,, as far as the pitch,,,,i think they can pitch it between a power and speed prop but can,t see it going much faster than it already does. Hope this helps and good luck with that .

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BEFORE we can dispense meaningful advice it would help to know what rpms the engine is turning ,what prop and pitch you are running ,and if you don't have Power trim and tilt ,what hole the crosspin is in.Is this the max speed with the boat empty with one person or under your normal load.25mph isn't out of the question or unreasonable for that boat depending on the load ,prop etc.The hydro foil will give you a better holeshot but not help top speed.:smile2: