40 hp. Johnson lower unit

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by trad_archer, Dec 20, 2005.

1. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    I have an 89' Johnson 40 hp. that i completely destroyed the foot. I keep getting different storys from all the local boat mechanics as to what will fit. Some say 88-92 and some say only 89. Regardless, I cant find any around here so i checked e-bay. Same story. Some claim to fit 88- 92 as well. Does anyone know what will fit? I do know there were two shafts made that year and mine is the shorter one. Just wanted to get some opinions before i ordered one as these things arent cheap. Thanks for any help.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I would trust buying it from a Johnso/Evinrude dealer that sells used parts and would gaurantee it. Most all of them sell used parts from trade in's.

If an 88 to 92 will fit, they will sell it to you. Finding a short shaft in my area would be difficult..

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    1989 was a new series.... 89 90 91 92 then 93 was another new series
    1976 to 1988 are a series......
    i fought this same battle with a lower for a 1990 48 johnson.......i spent weeks compiling numbers off each part so i wouldn't get messed up.... 1988 parts numbers don't match up with 89 to 92,,,,,,,,,
    if u get up and running and have the need for a factory trim and tilt unit for the 40 hp , give me a yell............. i got one i don't need......
    also, if u are gonna look into buying a new lower, i had good luck shopping down in south louisiana......they have a lot of takeoffs cause those guys down there run a lot of jet lowers............ good luck...

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Coach, some very good tips and info.

Merry Christmas, my friend :)

5. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Thats what I needed to hear. I cant afford a new one and I got an estimate of 700 bucks to rebuild the old one. I talked to a guy last night that has a used one for 300 and he said the same thing: 89- 92 is the only series that will fit. Thanks for the tips

6. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Coach, I have a trim unit that i have yet to install but thanks for the offer.

7. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    shane, check your private messages......................... that site will really help u .........i have a few spare parts for a lower u might wanna look at .... drive shaft, prop shaft ...... also.... the shifting dog can be turned around on that model and used bassakards....... the ears that were goin to reverse will then be going to forward gear,,,,,,,,,

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    merry merry bob................. heck after all the help u gave me when i was broken down, just seems natchul to try to help somebody else...... u see, ur good deeds have rubbed off on me too !!!!!! ;)

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yeah Man!!!

What goes around comes around.