40 hp etec

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bait Boat, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Wondering what people think about etec motors. What would service
    be after 300 hrs as they claim.

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ok baitBoat quit tight-wading around buy an opti-max wont regret it promise:wink::smile2::tounge_out: Go talk to the guy at Barling boats if ya want the real scoop on those e-tech's:wink:

3. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    e-techs and optimax are all in the same class. why would u not want to service something that cost as much as the new motors today ?

4. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Don't know much about them. I have a friend that has one and he say's it is the best thing since apple pie. I am a YAMAHA fan. I didn't know they made anything else.
    PEEDEE CAT

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have a 90, And after 300 hours or 3 years. Its the water pump, Change out the lower unit oil, Spark plugs, And all the filters.
    Big sam not going to put the opti-max down. But they had problems also when starting out. And I think both are good motors. But I went with the motor I thought would fit my needs best. Just like you did.
    Don't know why when someone hears about a buddy that heard that his buddy dad talked to a guy that seen a guy with a bad motor?
    Also I see Barling boats does not sell E-tecs so I am sure they know all about them. I love how what ever the dealer is selling is the best. But let them become a E-Tec dealer and the same bunch will put down the mercury's. Not picking at you Big sam. but mercury is no better then the rest.
    There all good these days, And you can get a bad motor in any of them.
    Bait Boat I am going to PM you a link to a place that is only E-Tecs and you can get some great info there.
    Pete
    PS I have owned Mercury, Mariner, Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Nissan and a E-tec all were good.

6. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have been using a 90 horse e-tec for two years in fresh and salt water. I have had no problems of any kind. I think its the best motor I have ever had. I turn the key, it starts, it runs, and gets great mileage. Catfishjon

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    It seems funny to me that they have a 60hp sitting in the show room that they start and run for you to see how quiet they are:eek:oooh: They have done this for 3yrs now i think i know my local boat shops pretty well since i live 30 miles from all of them around Ft. Smith. I was ribbing my friend BAIT- Boat when you decided to..............:eek:oooh:

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sam I was going by there website. It did not show them selling E-tecs. Also if they have so much bad stuff to say about them. Why do they have one in the show room?
    It just that every day theres people running down a product that they have not had. But sure have a buddy that has one that is junk.
    Pete

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is the other issue that 75hp is the smallest Optimax offered. Since the thread title was "40 hp etec", 75 may be too big for his application.