40 hp 4cylinder merc.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by psychomekanik, Mar 4, 2007.

1. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a 40 horse 4 cylinder oil injected mercury engine. model # 1-040411td i want to clean out and rebuild the carbs. the carbs are wma walbro carbs. the ones on the engine dont match the parts drawings i'm finding exactly. they say it has wma-4's but can supersede to a 10, or a 13. mine are stamped wma-2. on the side. there is no listing anywhere for a wma-2. but, on top of the carbs there is a 13 stamped also. so i'm assuming theses are wma-13's. one of the reasons i want to rebuild them is a minor leak at the bottom of the top carb. it seems to be coming out of the throttle shaft bore and running down the link to the top of the bottom carb. at first i thought it was an oil leak from an injection line or something. because it looked like oil rather than mixed fuel. but, i cleaned and dried it off really well with brake cleaner, ran it and watched for it. and comfirmed the location. what seals the throttle shafe in this area? is there a bushing, a seal, or are they simply drilled through the casting? if so can it be restaked for a tighter fit? has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is that a model number or serial number. I need the serial number and if you can would you post a picture of the carb so I can see what it looks like. I have several exploded views of the carbs and don't have numbers for them . I would say the fuel is coming out the shaft hole because the carb is flooding from the seat not lettin the needle shut the fuel off.

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that was the model # i posted. the serial # is 0g475370. i was hoping it was a flooding problem. it ran good last year, but leaked very slightly. i put a water pump in it yesterday and fired it up. it did'nt run as well as it did last year. and it leaked consiberably more. but the gas is a couple months old. i knew i was going to rebuild them and i only ran it a few seconds to verify water pump operation. i'm hoping the kits offered are the right ones, and it fixes my problem.

Attached Files:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Does it have the fuel pump built onto the side of the carb?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do you happen to know the year that engine was built.
    This is what I have come up with. In 1996 they built that 40 with a WMA 13 carb on the top and a WMA 10 on the bottom. But I am also coming up with the parts no longer listed but I have found a kit for a wma 13 carb
    If I can get it to load the picture of the kit in shown

The needle is sold seperatly but I can get you the number of both and they sell thru seirra at Napa parts stores.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the engine's a late 96 build. but mercury say's it's a 97 model year. the carbs dont have integral fuel pumps. go back and look at the pic i posted. i moved the filter out of the way for viewing. look just below that for the fuel pump. on the opposite side of the carb, there is the inlet. it is threaded directly into the body. the carbs they are showing me have a removeable plate that the inlet is screwed into. integral pump maybe? if i had a means to properly i.d. them i could find parts. i just dont want to have to send stuff back, or eat the cost of it and let it sit on a shelf for 2 years and end up pitching it. on the side shown in my pic',. it is stamped wma. then off to the right of that is a #2. i'm pretty sure the 2 is a useless #. but, on the throat on top of them is a 13. at least on the top one. i'll check them again. you might be right about it having a 13 on top, and a 10 on the bottom. i may go ahead and take them off get pix, and properly i.d. them before ordering parts. i just didnt want to tear it down till i had parts in my hand. i didnt even think of napa...

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do not mix the parts, especially the jets. Keep good records of what jet came from what carb, and where.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think I found the parts you are looking for.

The needle and seat is 18-7061

The gaskets is 18-7004

picture below.

Bob Made a real good point above.