40 horse force overheating, (I think)

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishinjunky, Jun 4, 2007.

1. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ok my force motor after being run for a while including up to full throttle for short bursts, will start to steam out the piss holes. it also does not seem to piss much. I dropped the lower unit and pulled the water pump, hose looks clear, impellar had a couple of bent blades but i don't think it would have been impairing water suction they were still tight to housing. one other thing my overheating buzzer never came on. and i found out from my clymers book that it does not have a thermostat. my question is, is the steam normal? what else could be causing the overheating? i was thinking of trying an engine flush, but would this help?

any input appreciated.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Is water coming out of the pee hole ok? I've had some trouble with dirt dobbers building nests in the opening.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Change out the whole water pump, housing and impellor.

Steam is not normal, no matter what.

A compression check would be in order before the pump change.

Dirt dobbers in the pee hole have no effect on the cooling, just on what you can/can't see coming out.

4. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks, someone on a different forum said that steam is normal after a hard run did not think it was but was supposedly a marine tech. i think i will go with the safe side and do a compression check. i heard that sometimes steam is created by water being in the cylinder don't know, but thought about it and my dad filled with ethanol gas since water and ethanol seperate from gas could it be the fuel line sucking up the seperated contents?

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sucking up the seporated contents, aka, phase seporation, would blow your engine.

A compression check will tell you if you've got a blown head gasket and the overall health of your engine.

Steam in the cyl's, not likeley seen, as it would come out as exhaust.

Steam after a hard run in real cold weather maybe, but were talking about a 40 hp engine in June.

Do the water pump, unless you can tell me the last time it was changed was less than a year ago. And get rid of that ethonal. your really asking for trouble putting that crap in your engine.

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    thanks Bob will give it a try and let you know.