40 GAL Bait tank

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bnt55, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well the old drink cooler has decided to start sagging at the bottom due to always sitting on the slant in my boats floor with 250 lbs of water in it so I have built another tank which will hopefully last a little longer. I cut down a 55 gal drum to the 40 gal mark and put the lid back on and riveted some hinges and a door lock on and bingo I am in business again, only prob is I havent ran any plumbing yet and I am not sure how to insulate it if thats even necessary at this point. One nice feature about this tank is the gallon numbers stamped on the side so I always know how much water is in the tank.

Attached Files:

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    BTW if anyone is interested in the construction I can post up picture details. Takes about 45 minutes to make and cost me about $8 for latch and aluminum rivets (had hinges already). I will diagram out the aerator when I figure out what I am going to do.

3. noodle

noodle New Member

State:
    GA
    I would love to see some more pics of the construction. Is this gonna be for herring?

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill it looks like you did a great job. I would suggest you make a full and complete picture diagram and details, with plumbing, and post. And maybe it will be considered to place in the BOC members library.

5. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Nice job Bill, can't wait to see the finished product, reps to you.

6. mr. baker

mr. baker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Would love to see the details.

7. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bill look at the keep alive tanks there set up for your pump and filter may work well for you

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Make a post with those construction pics and a narrative and I'll place this thread in our member library. This is a nice bait tank. Thanks for sharing.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats gonna be nice.all you need is THE BAIT SPA,the best aereator/filter i've seen.alittle exspensive,but worth it.

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Great looking tank! I hope the hinges are stainless, I had a problem with rust killing fish awhile back...