$40 Abu Garcia Fishing Reel! Good buy?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by joer, Nov 10, 2008.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I can buy a 5500 C3 reel for $40. Is this too good to be true. I currently have a 6000 that works great for catfishing will I be down grading, should I buy??? Help please.:confused2:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    That would be a good reel for the smaller cats if it is new that is a hell of a buy

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Forgot to welcome you to the BOC/SOC , so welcome from So.Alabama

4. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Thanks catman!! I'm still trying to decide if I should buy it since I currently own a 6000?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good deal to me

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    BUY IT. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY REELS.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds like a deal to be thats a great reel for Channel catfish!

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not a bad deal only thing is no clicker:sad2: best to spend a few more $$$ and get 6500c3 and make sure its the most current model (2007) a new 5500c3 is $70 @ catfish connection and 6500c3 should be about $15 more but they don't have a c3 in the catalog :confused2:

And welcome to the board joer

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have the 5500, 6000s and 6500s. As suggested, the 6500s are the ticket, and the 6000 is a great reel too. As also pointed out, if you are fishin' for channels, the 5500 would be adequate. I guess you are the only BOC member I ever heard of that was downsizing reels! :wink:
    Bill in SC

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    5500` doesnt have a clicker is the only thing bad about them but they are a good reel i have 2 of them

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    guys those are all great points! I'm glad i posted because those were all my reservations....no clicker, not big enough and i was down grading. god bless the boc! thanks for all the info!! i feel better about saving my $$$ and going with a 6000 or better :roll_eyes:. thanks again!! one day my avatar will have a big cat instead of ducks, they eat better! :smile2: Pm me if you ever want to duck hunt in the columbia, mo area.

12. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sounds like you've already made your decision, but I'd try and get a 6000. Great reel for the money, you can probably get one for around 45 bucks and it's a little beefier and has a clicker. I really like the 6000's and 6600's that I have.

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These guys know there stuff, I was gonna answer your question but they beat me to it..You cant go wrong with a 6500-6000 abu.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a guy who usually says go bigger, as I prefer 7000's, however those 5500's are very nice reels for channel cats.

If your wanting something to throw 20# line with they work out well.

The 5500 C4's do in fact have clickers. I have a couple of them. The largest fish I've caught on them was a 23# Flathead. The 5500C4 was mounted on a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish rod. The outfit did quite well.

If I recall the difference between a 5000 and 5500 is the same as the 6000 vs 6500: Bushings vs Bearings but don't hold me to that.

I would not spool anything more than 20# line. I use a copoly line which seems to be a little lighter and thinner than reg mono (say Big Game). It casts like a dream on those 5500C4's.

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i up graded all my catty reels with baitrunners and am very glad i did, it was well worth the xtra $ :wink: