4 vane fletching

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Feb 3, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was fletching some arrows and got to looking at my jig. in the package was another disc for fletching an arrow with 4 vanes. the jig is the bohning professional. i use the 2" blazers for my arrows. i use the beman hawk carbon arrows. they perform pretty well. i know we have some on here that shoot the 3-d for competition. would that be what the 4 vanes would be used for? or could they be useful for deer hunting? i shoot through a whisker biscuit, so it would work, but i just wanted to ask would it give me any better performance than 3 vanes? thanks.
    another thing for anyone that orders their arrows- i specify shafts only when i order, but still get fletched arrows. is this the usual? i would rather get a bare shaft than one i have to strip and clean.
    thanks again!

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh, come on yall! some one has to know the benefits/disadvantages! :angry:

3. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    quicker recovery out of the bow with a heavy front of center arrow, more prone to wind planning with fixed blades . this would just be a guess

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    here's my input. 4 vanes will make the arrow spin faster than 3 vanes. resulting in better accuracy. even though these days every one I know shoots 3 vaned arrows. even in 3d competition. 4 vaned arrows are hard to get total fletching clearance off the rest. with todays drop-away rests, fletching clearance is a thing of the past. todays bows are ultra accurate and using 4 vanes on your arrows would be over-kill. That's my thought.
    I would like to see what the other posts have to say.

Hope this helps.
    Mark

5. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    alright heres what i know. 4 will alow the arrow to recover more quickly after leaving the rest. this is ovioulsy because the arrow is spining faster the main problem and depending on where you hunt, me being from nevada hunting high ridge lines get a lot of high winds, is that the arrow is much more suceptable to being moved by the wind also the arrow generaly looses speed much faster then with 3. hope this helps some

6. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    From what I have read about fletching 3 vs 4 ,4 vanes or feathers are usually reserved for traditonal archery and for feathers only. Most people that shoot 4 feathers are traditional archers because they get better flight with there hunting arrows with fixed blade heads. In other words their arrows don't fly well with 3 feathers so they go to 4 with good results. I have expeimented with four vanes with poor results due to bad rest clearance.I just switched to a fall away rest and it would probably would work fine now but why go through all the hassle. My bow is perfectly tuned to my three vane set up and shooting better groups than ever. Hey, fletch one of your arrows with a four vane set up and see if it improves your arrow flight with broad heads, but if it aint broke don't fix it.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have shot archery for many years as well as fletch my own arrows. I have never used 4 fletchings as 3 has always been really good. I do know that archers who bird hunt with arrows will often times fletch 4 or 6 feathers known as flu-flus....this slows the arrow down very fast so it doesn't go so far. I dont think you need 4 fletchings for hunting ground game.:wink:

8. wrestler126

wrestler126 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Don't know where you are buying your arrows but it shouldn't be a problem getting bare shafts. Kind of a waste of time to have to strip the arrow to refletch. I would just shoot them until they needed replaced unless you are REALLY happy with you vanes and set-up.

I used to shoot 4 vanes frequently. The posts on quicker recovery regarding forward weight arrow (may be because of broadhead wt.) are probably true. Now with mechanicals steerage and recovery are probably not as big of an issue.

If I was you I would just try fletching some up for a try. They should shoot fine through your whisker bisket. That was always a problem using 4 fletch with some of the earlier rests.

Hint: If I was going to fletch some up I would use less angle than you probably currently use for your 3 vanes.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i only use a 2 degree offset in my fletchings, it should be alright. i'm kind of leanin toward the 'if it ain't broke' line anyway. the more i shoot, the smaller my groups get, and i have already pulled off some good shots on deer, so i will probably stick with the three vane setup. the blazers over factory fletchings work so much better for me that i don't even bother wearing out the originals. i was buying arrows at wallyworld and stripping them, now i'm stuck on the bemans and really like them better. they have more solid vanes on them, but they shoot lower than with the blazers. when i order i specify bare shafts, but they still come fletched. not too big a deal to strip them anyway... thanks for the replies guys!