4 stroke or 2 stroke?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Nov 19, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I want to buy a motor in the 9.9 hp range and of course they sell both 2 strokes and 4 strokes. I'm curious what are advantages and disadvantages? It seems like it would be a pain to always have to buy the oil mix for the 2 stroke. I remember someone telling me that one is louder then the other... but I don't remember which. Are they both about the same as far as fuel efficiency? What about maintenance difficulty/cost? Right now I am leaning towards the 4 stroke... but finding a used one in my area may be difficult and may just have to go for whatever is available. Any help would be great... thanks.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Steve, good luck on finding a used one, I'm lookin for a four stroke in your range also.

For a portable outboard like you're lookin for the considerations for two vs. four stroke is pretty simple.

A 9.9 two stroke will probably weigh >30% less than a four stroke.

A 9.9 four stroke will probably get >40% better gas mileage than a two stroke.

Two strokes are lighter. Four strokes get better gas mileage.

Another consideration is that two strokes are on their way out in a lot of states. Four strokes don't pollute like two strokes.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The up keep on a 4 stroker is lot more. Oil change, valves etc.
    The evinrude e tec exceeds epa standards, is a faster running, lighter motor with more torque. The oil for the new 2 strokes are $$$$$$$$.
    I myself would go with a 2 cycle right now.
    Bill

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would stick to a 2 stroke. like bill said they are more trouble and cost plus the wieght. more moving parts means more chance of breakage. they sure advertise them alot. if they were so great they would sell themselves. lol there are alot of people falling for the hype dont be another bro.!

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i would go with the 4stroke. They are so much quiter than the 2's. get better mileage, and work on the same principles as a car motor.
    It just seems like a better idea to me especially since they pollute less.
    I dont mean to step on any toes, but this is just my two cents

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont know what everyone is talking about with the higher maintenance of a four stroke. I have had mine for over two years and about 400hrs of run time and the only maintenance I have done was change the oil and the plugs. Two strokes are louder and no matter how efficient they claim they are on oil, they still have to inject oil and burn it off to keep the engine lubricated. A four stroke has its own internal oil and pollutes way less. If you like the waters you are fishing in then go for the 4stroke. Hopefully if enough people start to change over to the 4stroke little by little it will help out the environment. Something I cant stand is seeing a boat start and seeing a gigantic cloud of blue smoke coming from the water, or being behind one on the river, the smell is terrible.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Sorry I forgot to add that I changed the water pump, but thats normal maintenance no matter what the engine is.

8. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I bought a 2stroke 25hp yamaha this year and would do it again in a heartbeat!! We stood there and listened as the dealer explained to one customer all the things he needed to do for his 4 stroke....it was a 10 minute conversation! We got our 2 stroke and she told us to use double oil for first tank of fuel, then change lower unit oil after 10 hours breakin..... THAT WAS IT!!! the 4 stroke guy was told to put a fuel filter/water separator on his 4 stroke cause they are SUPER sensitive to water....if the carb gums up, 250dollars labor plus parts to clean it! my 2 stroke is a LOT quieter than the old 1970's and 80's motors i'm used to using, and at Wide open, i dont see where 4 strokes are much quieter! My yamaha 25 horse was 50# lighter than the closest 4 stroke....if you're looking at a 9.9 you probably have a smaller boat, and you know how weight affects smaller boats. 2 strokes have been around a long time, and are proven technology. 4 strokes, have not! Lots more moving parts. I like simple stuff, i figure less parts, less chance of breaking! Now, if i was going with a bigger motor for a big boat, i would probably go 4 stroke (say if i needed something bigger than a 150), but those bigger motors use a lot more fuel than my little 25.

9. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    suzuki has had 4 strokes out for awhile, i'm no talking bad about your choice, but when for comparable money i can have a 4stroke or 2, i will chosethe 4. If for no other reason, for the environment.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, I started another thread on this forum askin for feedback on Nissan 4 strokes because I'd about made up my mind that was what I needed. Now I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm really, really, impressed with the extra gas mileage I get with my lil Briggs & Stratton. Three gals. of gas seems to last forever. Also, it's air cooled, no water pump, and the maintenance required is not that involved. But it weighs 56 lbs compared to a 40 lb 5 hp two stroke.

Will the environmental wackos succeed in getting the two strokes banned? It seems I've read somewhere that there are already restrictions on them in California.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ah, the age of the internet search engine, Steve, google: two stoke vs. four stroke outboard motors; amazing it is.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, your choice isn't between a 9.9hp 2-stroke and a 9.9hp 4-stroke; it's between a 9.9 2-stroke and a 15hp 4-stroke. Maybe it's because the 4-strokes weigh so much more, but I think that a 2-stroke is more powerful, horsepower per horsepower. I bought a 25hp Yamaha 4-stroke a couple of years ago, and while it's definitely got more power than the 15hp 2-stroke I was using, it sure didn't give me the performance boost I was expecting from almost doubling my horsepower. But I do love the quet! We can actually carry on a conversation in the boat, rather than having to scream at each other in an often futile attempt to be heard. But the newer 2-strokes are supposed to be quieter than the older ones; and they are supposed to get better gas mileage. I'd be really impressed if they could compete with the 8mpg (approximate) I get with my 4-stroke, which includes about 50% at full throttle. I don't like to run a motor at full throttle very much, but with my 4-stroke being so wimpy in the power department, I don't really have much choice. Gonna mean more repairs and shorter engine life. All in all, for the same money, I wish I had bought a 40hp-50hp 2-cycle.

13. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    You are right that suzuki has had 4 strokes out for a while, and so has honda.....but we're comparing what? 70 or 80 years for 2 stroke outboards, vs maybe 20 years tops for the 4 stroke? Thats all i'm saying. Plus on the environmental side, my yamaha owners manual calls for 100:1 premix, so if you choose to run it as such, it doesn't use a whole lot of oil anyway.

14. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD
    I've reread my posts here, and i wanna clear something up (in case it wasn't clear). I'm not ragging on 4 strokes folks. I prefer the 2 stroke obviously. It seems that most of the people who are unhappy with the 4 stroke have smaller boats (i have a 14ft. jon), where the weight can cause issues. Some guys where i work have 4 strokes on some BIG fiberglass boats (talking 26'+ Deep V), and they abosolutely LOVE them. To get a 4 stroke comparable to what i got for my boat, i woulda had to spend approx $800 more than what my 2 stroke costs.....Thats a lot of money to me, and it makes the price no comparason! I dont fault anyone for buying a 4 stroke.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    This same thing is happening in the off road motorcycle and 4-wheeler market but at a faster pace. When the Yamaha YZ400 four stroke dirt bike first came out, it was heavy, expensive and a lot of maintenance (sound like current boat motor four strokes?). In only 10 years, they have taken the four stroke dirt bike from neat idea to dominating the market. Watch a motocross race sometime. You will not see a 2 stroke even entered. They have significantly reduced the weight, cost, and as people learned to work on them, maintenance cost has come way down. In another five years you probably won't even be able to buy a two stroke motorcycle anymore.

So what does motorcycles have to do with boats? Guess who makes boat motors also? Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki. The same folks that have poured a ton of money into four stroke motorcycle technology. The four strokes are getting better and lighter each year. We can debate the advantages and disadvantages of either one forever but the future is clear, and it will be four stroke.

I love two strokes. I have had dirt bikes, three wheelers, and four wheelers that were all two strokes most of my life. My current boat is a two stroke. But the powers that be, have decided two stokes are bad, and we can not change it. The chance for that was 15 years ago when the tree huggers were trying to ban 2 strokes and we couldn't (or didn't) stop it. Does it mean quit buying two stokes now? I don't think so. But once they get the four strokes dialed in and priced competitive, It will be hard to convince yourself to buy a new 2 stroke, if they are even available.

As far as your question goes, I don't think there is any reason not to buy a two stroke, just because it is a "two stroke" right now. If money is the deciding factor, then the two stroke is the way to go.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys 4 strokes are not new to the market. They have been introduced to the boating world for a long time but just haven't caught on like the 2 stroke.
    I am going to repower my toon between now and spring and I would venture to say it will have a new e-tech 2 stroke on it.

17. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I bought a 60 hp four stroke two years ago and it is very quite and very fuel efficient........but it is also very heavy and runs like a herd of turtles. If you plan on putting it on a pontoon boat 18 ft. or longer, I wouldnt get any less than a 90 hp. My next motor will be one of the Optimax 2 stroke series. On a good day, trimmed out, loaded with three people and gear, my 18 ft pontoon with a 60 hp 4 stroke will hit about 13 mph. On the up side, its quite and I can run it a week every day on 20 gallons.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The only reason I would even purchase a four stroke would be because the Corp of Engineers bans the two cycle engine nation wide. They have all ready got a good start at that in California, and whatever those wacky people do, the rest of the nation follows behind. Sure wish that big quake would hurry up and get here before the rest of the country gets all of its rights legislated away. LOL

19. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would like to hear Bubba give the ins and outs of the Etec. I went to the local boat store, and they didn't have anything goood to say about Etec. They said that there was so many tech updates they couldn't keep up on them. I do like the idea of the Etec, but I'd like to spend money once on the engine, and not have it take a dump on me later down the road. Later Andy

20. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I'll have to google it and see what others have to say. I thought I'd pose the question here first since this place is full of knowledgeable fishermen. I knew that I wasn't the only one out there that has had to face this question at one time or another. Thanks to all who have voiced their opinnions... thats what I'm looking for. It sure helps me, since it will be my first outboard for my first boat.