4 stroke or 2 stroke

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by gotta go, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    This usually caused a lot of stink on the motorcross forum but what about marine engines?? Which would you buy and why? I was wanting a new 4stroke for my toon, so which engine would be best? Honda, Yamaha, Merc. etc.......?
    I was wanting the 4 stroke for gas millage, i still believe the 2 stroke has the most power (speed)????????????????????????????/

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    optimax good on gas an two stroke

3. If I had the coin, I would definately go 4 stroke. Cleaner, no more mixing and spending money on 2 cycle oil, I go through about at least 2 cases a year, gas is expensive enough without that. The few boats I have been on with a 4 stroke seemed to be fine on power, even the 4 stroke jets. I like the Merc 4 strokes. They seem to run smoother too.

4. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    Both are good. Here where I live they are outlawing the 2 strokes more and more. Lots of our waterways here are now 4 stroke only so it dont really leave much of a decision for a person to make. I have had both 2 and 4 I myself like the 4 strokes for thier idle all day at trolling speeds with no worry about loading up no mixing gas and oil and they are quiet. But the 4 strokes are heavy and bulky. 2 strokes are light a bit more noise more messy I do like the auto oil injection that most 2 strokes have now days made it a lto less of a messy setup. Use what suits your needs for around your area. I myself will have to be purchasing a 4 stroke for my current boat soon if they outlaw the 2 strokes on this last lake I fish.

5. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    4 stroke yamaha with plenty of power! :big_smile:

6. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    From a mechanics view,i have worked on the johnson,suzuki,mercury,yamaha and honda 4 strokes.i have seen more troubles out of the mercurys and hondas.the yamaha is a great motor but it is under powered in my opinon.i have to use a prop that is 2 sizes smaller to get the same rpms that a suzuki or johnson will run.i choose suzuki over all of them because of price and 6 yrs of warranty that they offer on their specials.and after rigging hundreds of them on boats and not seeing any major problems coming back to the shop,i feel confident that these motors are will be around a long time.my 2 cents

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    MERCURY only way to go.i have owned yami,johnson(now)and mercury.and merc. is the only one stayed on the water more than the operating table.just my experience.
    2 or 4 is a prefference choice,both have their advantages.i preffer 2 stroke.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    This is one of the things I would do differently on my new boat. I bought a 2 stroke motor. If able to do it over I'd go with a Suzuki 4 stroke. QUIET operation and sips the gas!

My 2 stroke is a GAS HOG and loud when compared to the 4 strokes. The money you save on gas and oil will pay for higher cost of the 4 stroke in a few years.

And I'd also buy the MAXIMUM HP the hull is rated for!

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Alot to consider.
    One thing to consider is life.
    We've all seen antique 2 strokes and plenty of them.
    Some of us have seen classic two strokes that still run.
    I myself have a 1950 3 horse Johnson.

4 stroke may be quieter but it has twice the moving parts.
    Rebuilds costs are astronomical. More cost effective to buy a new one in alot of cases.

Another option if you like quiet is the 2 stoke E-Tec.
    I've heard nothing but praise over these engines.

What would I get?
    I would prefer E-Tec if it's priced right.
    I'm not going to keep any boat I build long. It never works out that way.
    4 Stroke would be good resale even if it's not the best option.

10. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    mark guess you have not priced a e-tec lately?the most expensive out there!

11. Only the best will do for Mark!:wink:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yep , maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    E-Tec would be my first choice. If I couldn't squeeze it in the budget then i would probally go 4- stroke for resale purposes.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    No, I think alot of people get hung up on the "quiet" thing.
    I think there is much more to it then that.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    To add to that, it's alot easier for me to shop for engines as an engine buyer.
    Throw a boat into it and you are stuck with a dealer.

15. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    One plus for the e-tec is maintenace savings,3 years no scheduled maintenace.kind of justifies the price:wink:

16. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to go with Suzuki 4 stroke !!!

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Why Sukzuki?
    Any particular reason other then you have one and maybe it hasn't broke down or blown up?

18. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have been running an 08 etec 90h.p. for the past two years and love it.No problems at all and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

19. FATBOY DAN

FATBOY DAN New Member

State:
    West T= IN.
    Hands down im going with my older MERCURY 2 stoke cause i own one and i have river land where my boat has sat and sunk 5 times from ther river raiseing & lower and my MERCURY has been under water for 24hrs + all most ever time and i took the plugs out & clean them off and it fire right back up. Still runs strong :cool2: + its been on my other boat first for 5 years and this boat now for 3 years only had to chang oil,plugs,water pump & strater from the hole time ive onw it. Here is a pic of my boat being sunk one of the times. http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/hunter3782/2.jpg

20. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Dean, thanks for the question about marine motors. There have been some good responses. The detailed answers are very helpful with the pro's and con's. Thanks guys for good responses :cool2: