4 stages of hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by phase5supply, Oct 13, 2009.

1. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Wondering what stage of hunting everyone is in, 1- You just want to harvest a deer, 2- You want to tag out shoot all you can, 3- You are wanting to take a Trophy deer and pass on young bucks, or 4- You just want to be in the woods even if you see a Trophy deer you may not take it. I feel like I am in 3rd stage, I am looking for Trophy deer, I have became more concerned with land management and conservation in the last few years, I love being in the woods but, I still want to harvest nice bucks. I have not made to the last stage yet I sure I will as I mature as a hunter and sportsman. In the last 3 to 4 years I have came to appreciate the great outdoors of our land.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Good Points,,,

With Elk,, I've been stuck in the 3rd phase for about 25 years!!!.. I've killed a bunch of them, but,, as of yet,, no wall hangars..

Deer (Muleys).. I just like being out, maybe 4th stage.. and, everything else,,

except the danged quail!!! :smile2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess I'm goin in reverse. I been in phase two since I started hunting 36 years ago I want to tag out. I love my deer meat.Small game isnt a big deal tho.

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Would have to say I am in the 3rd stage now for a few years. Not seeing myself hitting the 4th stage. 4th stage sounds like putting the gun up and taking a camera.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mouths to feed .:roll_eyes: Little bucks walk .Any doe or a trophy buck . Rabbits go to the pot . Tree rats is usually a walk in the woods if I kill a few great . But being out there is fun irregaurdless .

6. Fletchhunter

Fletchhunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    First I try to put a doe in the freezer, then I hunt antlers the rest of the season. The only way I would shoot a small buck, would be at the end of season and have no meat in the freezer. We have a 1 buck limit here, so I like to let the little guys walk

7. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    3rd stage if i am dragging a buck out the woods these days he is going to be a wall hanger,i will kill at least 1 doe for some meat.do,nt ever see me
    going to no.4 stage but who knows,good luck to everyone this fall

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have been in stage three for many years.

9. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Stage 3! When I need to fill the freezer i shoot a couple doe's. I see no need to shoot a 1 1/2 -2 1/2 year old buck for meat.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I must be stage 4, usually if I see a deer I don't shoot, I just see the hind end and tail.:smile2: I"m probably in stage 1, but I just like to be out there and if I get to see one I'm happy, If I shoot one well, thats good too.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I guess I'm in stage 3. I shoot a buck or two every year, but I see lots and lots of nice deer. A buck really has to "trip my trigger" for me to shoot him anymore. I passed more good deer last year than I care to admit, and never used my rifle buck tag. That's alright.... I told my wife I'd rather take does and no bucks than shoot a "decent" buck. I've come to realize that I can't kill a real bruiser of a buck, if I settle for a decent one.

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm closer to stage 3 than any of the others. When I first started, yeah, I just wanted to shoot any deer. Then after a few years, I wanted to get more than 1 a season. Now, I do enjoy watching the young ones & letting them go. But every once in awhile, I just have to go ahead & get a doe for the freezer.
    Good luck & good hunting to all!!

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    The last 4 years I have been in stage 1. I get so little time to hunt anymore I just want to put meat in the freezer. I usually shoot a doe and if I have anymore time to get out will wait for a buck big or small. Ive been through all the stages except 4. I dont know if I'll ever hit that stage. Maybe when I cant drag or work them up anymore.:smile2:

14. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    'I go thru two stages each season - early up till mid october I'd like to shoot as many as I can for the meat but try not to shoot the mature does - from mid october thru mid november I'm not letting an arrow fly unless I'm gonna put him on the wall - after that I'm back to trying to get the does for the freezer again. I am much more aggressive with the way I hunt post rut as I'm not worried about lossing track of where the does are bedding, feeding, and the trails they are using in between - I just hunt the freshest sign I can find and hope for the best

15. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can I just be all of them....I hate those tough decisions so early in the morning

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i don't know what stage i'm in. i have been hunting for 24 years. now i have killed several 'trophies' but not for what was on their heads. in the end, i feed the family a lot by hunting. i don't think everyone falls into those four phases. i try to shoot mature deer, but as the season goes on, no deer is safe.

17. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would consider myself in Stage 3. I like to shoot at lease one doe early with my bow and then after that until our gun season (end of NOV) is over I am trophy hunting. After the rut is over and it is late season time I will start shooting does again. I usally shoot 3 does a year and maybe 1 buck with and gun or bow a year, if they are good! If I need meat I shoot does not young bucks.

18. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Not to change the subject, but I see a lot of people saying that they switch back to shooting does in the late season. Late season buck hunting can be nothing short of phenomenal. It's nearly identical to the very beginning of archery season, as the bucks go right back to their normal predictable feeding patterns. They're worn down from the rut and they have to eat eat eat to get back into shape. Late season can be a fantastic time of year to take a really big buck. Yes it's much colder, but the bucks get predictable once again & nearly no one is hunting.

19. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not to change the subject, but I see a lot of people saying that they switch back to shooting does in the late season. Late season buck hunting can be nothing short of phenomenal. It's nearly identical to the very beginning of archery season, as the bucks go right back to their normal predictable feeding patterns. They're worn down from the rut and they have to eat eat eat to get back into shape. Late season can be a fantastic time of year to take a really big buck. Yes it's much colder, but the bucks get predictable once again & nearly no one is hunting.[/QUOTE]

Speaking for about everyone that posted on here....I would shoot a nice buck if I got the chance, but you also need to shoot does to manage your hunting area. That is the only reason why I go back to shooting does after the rut is over.

Some of the best hunts I have been on as far as seeing big deer is in the late season. I had a farm I hunted last year that had standing beans left in, and late when it was cold and we had snow on the ground I would see 30+ deer a hunt and several shooter bucks.

Shooting a trophy is always in my mind while on stand, but I would rather shoot a mature doe than a 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year old buck. Plus the are better to eat anyway.:wink:

20. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I must be the stage 3 also. I will only shoot a buck if it is one that I would want to be hangin' on the wall. There are way too many does around these parts to shoot a young buck. And I really get a kick outta watchin' the young bucks during the rut. Kinda reminds me of when I was in high school!:smile2: