4 personal bests in the same day

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jlingle, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, I cheated. Not with explosives or a telephone crank, but by hiring a guy who knows more about catching big fish than me.

No matter how you say it or how you cut it, Saturday was the best day for big fish in my life. My buddy Song and I went fishing on Cedar Creek lake in Texas with Jackie Kennedy of North Texas Catfish Guide Service (lots of you probably know Jackie.) Anyway, the day started off with a double, with me catching a 33 pounder and Song landing a 30. It just got more and more fun from there. We ended up boating 20+ fish and we had 10 over 20 pounds, with 4 being over 30. It was awesome. I'm sitting here sore from catching fish, so you know it had to be good. We used cut shad and drifted in 35-42 ft. of water. Seems like everytime Jackie said "we're gettin' to a real good area here" one of the rods went down. We had 2 doubles and I nearly had a double by myself, catching a 25 and a 31 in about 3 minutes. It was a marvelous day of fishing, and my first serious winter-time trip. Hopefully I'll have some pics to follow.

Jerrod

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You didn't cheat! Ya simply used a resource at hand. LOL! Glad ya had a great time and thanx for sharein.

3. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    That's a fantastic day. I've been thinking about hiring me one of them guides one of these days. Nice cats!!!!!!!!!

4. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Jackie "Blue" is well known in these parts (for good reason) and Cedar Creek is "his" lake. It seems like he can drag big blues out of there daily. I've never been in a boat with him mainly for one reason, I've never fished Cedar Creek. I'd have to drive past a lake that produces blues in the 40 - 60 pound class to get there. But there is no doubt, if I wanted a cat guide on Cedar Creek or wanted to know how to fish that lake, he's the guy I would call.
    By the way, IMO, using a guide is not cheating. Think of it this way, if you were legally fishing in a tournament with the guide, would it count?
    In fact, if more people would/could use a GOOD guide they would benefit from it for the rest of their lives. Not to mention they have as good as chance as any of landing a fish of a lifetime. By "good" I mean the guide is willing to teach you why you are fishing certain locations and not others, proper presentation of bait, bait of choice, etc. If I read between the lines, reads like you guys were drifting using shad as bait ... am I close?
    Did you notice the water temp? how much was the wind blowing? wind direction? using a drift sock or shoot? When said "coming up on a good spot" was there underwater humps? drop offs? pockets of shad on the sonar? did you ask him if he would be fishing the same pattern in June?
    I'm asking really to make a point (not so much for an answer), it is not always what you catch with a guide that is important, it's more about how they were caught, in what conditions, the seasonal patterns, etc. Catching the big fish(s) is a truely an awesome experience and a serious motivator to try and hook the next one, but what you learn from a guide can continue to pay dividends the rest of your fishing days.
    Oh yea ... one last thing, don't "steal" a guides fishing spots. Show the guide you actually learned something from him/her, find your own "honey holes" by applying what you learned.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats is some very nice fish!

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never had the experience of catching so many nice fish in a day. Congrats

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man yall had a real good trip.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good looking fish jerrod thanks for sharing the pics

9. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Not cheateing in my mind. Sounds like a blast I might have to try it some time

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    MAN-OH-MAN:big_smile_2: what a day !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well worth the $$$.......Wasn't it ??????

BTW, it wasn't cheating......That's what it's all about.:cool2:

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Nice Fish. Congrats on some great looking blues!!!

12. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Man those are some great looking cats! Congrats!

13. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Awesome write up and pics and congrats.

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    very good day indeed. Congrats on those big blues. Sometimes it pays to hire a guide.

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh I learned from Jackie alright. This is my 2nd trip with him, but the first trip for big cats.

We were fishing deeper water, looking for places where old creek channels extended into themain lake. We drifted using drift socks, with cut shad for bait. Everytime I talk to Jackie I pick his brain, and he's more than happy to share the wealth of information that he knows. He's told me numerous times that the same tactics he employs down on cedar creek will work on my local lake as well. After all, they're just fish. I told him that fishing with him was like taking an advanced course in catfish-ology. It really is. It would have been money well spent, if it were only for hte education. He's a terrific guy, and he knows so much about catching the bigguns out of that lake, it's unreal.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Jerrod

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go, Jerrod!! Looks like you had a great time!!

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like money and time well spent. I use a guide on my side of the world once a year and sometimes twice and never considered it cheating. I consider helping a local business man keep his family fed. Congrats on a killer day of fishing.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sounds like you all had an amazing time! Congratulations!

19. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    All I can say is.....NICE....Congrats, and it is always fun to go out with someone who can really get on the fish...Nothing wrong with hiring a guide. It is a good learning tool.

20. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    WOW!!!
    Good for you.

Great trip report!

_