4 Nov 06 Potomac River fish report from Tawn

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Nov 4, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Put in Marshall Hall at 0830 and headed south working the channel edges around buoys 61-56. Water temp was 52 and we fished in water 20 to 60 feet deep. Came up with three fish between 1-3 lbs. Moved over to Hallowing point and picked up a 4 and 8 lbs. Around noon we went to an area just south of Ft Washington Light where have had luck in the past and came up empty. Wind started picking up making it nearly impossible to keep the boat stationary - got cold, called it a day and headed in at 2 pm.

Didn't look for bait - I had grocery store spot & croaker.

All and all pretty slow day. I guess we're spoiled when 5 fish, one almost 10lbs in 5 hours is considered slow.

Tim, we went looking for you off the light house around 2 pm just before we headed in to stop and introduce ourselves but we didn't see a Smokercraft.

Around 1130 we were anchor barely inside the channel by south of buoy 61 and a 30'+ cabin cruiser making 25-30 mph headed north came by us at about 15-20 yards!! I'm not exagerating, he was that close - it had to be intentional - he wouldn't even look at us as he went by - his female passenger did and she looked scared to death. They were close enough we could make out her expression! Didn't get the boat name and so many of those things all look the same. I've got a lot of freeboard, the boat sides are 28" tall and the wake came within 2 or 3 inches of putting the bow underwater.

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Thats too bad about the slow day... It happens. I guess you found that deep drop at #56? Fresh bait is key IMO and some of the grocery store fish aint even good enough for bait much less to eat. Those big boats on the Potomac you have to watch. I have had many close calls. Sail boats will aim right at you until the last minute. I had a Bass boat pass me at 60+ while I was going 35 mph at less the 10' that right 10' the lenght of one of my long rods a couple weeks ago. The river was 2 miles wide there. I didnt see him comming. I wish I had gotten a good look at him cause there were some on my boat that would of broke him of that. I would of just given him a bath at his 1st stop. There is no need in that kind of boat handling if I had to do a quick dodge of a timber/float he would of had no room. I dont usally look too much behind me. That river is full of people that have money to buy nice boats and have little boating skills or common since. Seems like better fishing up river but you never know. A buddy did real well on fish to 40 lbs about 20 miles south of #56 about 5 weeks ago. I doupt those fish have swam all the way to Ft washington. Oh well better luck next time.

3. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    Tawn,

Guess that bozo didnt know anything about your restricted manuevering situation :crazy:

At least you got to get on the water...my partner's boat is sick so we've been having the shakes for a while.

Aloha,
    Marty

4. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    From now on I will have a rod with a 8/0 snagging trebel hook rigged with a 10 oz sinker handy. Someone coming by needlessly close and we might have a fishing/casting accident. Hate to accidently scratch the paint on one of those nice shiney boats but if they would like to stop and discuss it, well that would be just fine to.

I see idiots. They are everywhere and they don't even know they are idiots. And some of them have boats on the Potomac

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Twan I was at fort washington until around 11 we try 4 spots there on outgoing and the bite was not there. I moved up around the bidge first spot we got some small fish 1 to 5 lbs. move over in the bay just off the point and its was slow at first but just when the tide turned so did the bite we boated 1 nice fish over 20 lbs and lost a real big fish didn;t get to see him but he had the reel a running. have 3 around the 10 lbs range and i would say maybe 20 small fish started slow but ended up good. I will be out tomorrow around the bidge father and son looking to catch lots of cats looks like a danny king day. I try for bait around the bridge and at blue plain all i find was carp about 12" and 3 catfish. Man wish we could use gill nets for bait.

6. special liberty

State:
    Maryland
    Tim, When you talk about going into the bays - what is the shallowest you would fish? I haven't really tried anything less than 15 feet, am I missing fish by not getting into shallower water.

Secondly, what weight sinkers do you use when the tide is at full bore. I realize it was a full moon tide but my 5 & 8 oz sinker seemed be totally ineffective, all the lines ended up straight behind me within seconds. I have most of them on a slip rig/Carolina rig type set up with two rods on a three way swivel. The smallest size hooks I'm using are 5/0 circles, that would explain why I don't catch as many small fish as other guys do. Good luck Monday! We'll eventually hook up - I plan to be out there at least once a week until I get deployed again next.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    on some of the flat below the bidge you will find holes where the flat will run say 2 to 6 feet and the holes can drop to 15 to 25 feet. Now as the water has cooled down them holes hold lots and lots of fish. The bait fish run them flats on sunny day as the water will warm there faster. I catch lots of nice cats 20 plus just on the flats today we was in around 11 to 15 feet. On the maps you can see the channel that runs up there is around 10 to 15 feet in most places if you drift fish that you can put some very nice fish out. I drift is on out going alot in the winter there where my PB of 52.6 showed up last winter he was in about 12 feet and the water then was 45.
    I use 3 to 8 oz sinkers but i set up my boat to fish trips out the side. So all of my rods can be straight down river. works great that way just hard to set up at times and some places i just can fish on moving tides.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Monday was a better day the bite was good most all day long. We did see bigger fish starting to hit again we was little for lots of fish just to keep the boy going and et him into fishing. Well we did that his first fish was 4 lbs and before i got that rod back i he hooked into a 20 lber. About an hours later his dad hooked a 25 lber and then a 20 soon after that. in the first 4 hours we had 3 over 20 and 25 eater size biggest was around 6 lbs.
    Then it got funny we moved out just below the bidge arund #90 and set up in about 25 feet of water. We hit a school of rock and in the next two hours we boated 27 of them off cut bluegill and Danny king blood bait. The biggest was about 28" most of them was 14 to 20. it was just a great day no wind and got up to around 60 I was say. Dont think we saw more the 5 boats all daythat is always nice. But still didnt see any shad around the bridge we be back out on thursday and try again.

Attached Files:

9. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    Sounds like you had a hell of a day Tim. I fished over in Shadyside MD on sunday at the mouth of a small creek where it feeds into the chesapeake and got into a school of rockfish. They were in that 14 to 20 range also. I fried up a couple for dinner and they were damn good. On sad note, I just read a article in the Potomac News and seen that a local fisherman died on the water over the weekend. He apparently ran into a day marker on the river while fishing a bass tournanment. All of the local police, fire and resque agencies were allready on the water conducting drills and still were unable to save him. I was on the water on the 4th of july 3 years ago and the same thing happened to one of the baots owned by the fire department. They hit a marker running at full speed at night and one of the passengers were killed. Im suprised that it does not happen more the way people over drive thier boats on this river.

10. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I just read another article on the boating accident over the weekend and the post that the boat hit is the same post that a Prince William County fire and resque boat hit a couple of years ago and killed one of the passangers aboard. I have seen this post many times, it is located just off shore of leesylvania state park between the boat ramp and fishing pier. It is boundary marker for MD and VA and is very small and dull in color. Hopefully one of the agencies will mark this with a larg reflector like most others are in the river before someone else dies. If anyone is boating in this area please use caution.

11. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va

I am pretty sure the PRFC marker that the fire and rescue boat hit a few years ago was the one right at High Point on the N side of Occuquan bay. It sticks out pretty far and have seen other folks at night almost hit it. The water is pretty shallow threre like 3 to 4' but is tempting to cut that corner. Those PRFC markers have been in the same places for as long as I have been around. They are to mark the PRFC boundreys. It is amazing there is not more accidents then there is with all the un lit bouys, markers, barges and mooring bouys. The Potomac is as dangerous as they come especelly at night or low visabality. At night its easy to get a little off from where you think you are. I have upgrade my electronics to include Radar and it works and has saved my butt in fog a couple times. At night it really has not saved me yet but does help keep track of those bouys/markers that are not lit. You still have floating logs and stuff you cant really see with radar bbut I can see other boat, markers, ect. The fellow that died this weekend was a experienced river man and my heart and prayers go out to his soul and family.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya guys I was out there and listened to it as it happen. I have a meeting coming up with alot of the big shots and that is out my list to have lights or something on every thing out there. Plus there is still alot of old boat deck poles around that you dont see on maps most only at low tides. I have saw many of boat hit some of them one more time I LOVE MY JET.
    I know it was windy when it happen and the way the bass guys shoot down the rivers 60 to 80 mph thats not good the hit something like that.