4 hp 1990-1995 EVINRUDE OUTBOARD ISSUES

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mavmannate, Aug 13, 2009.

1. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    the starter rewind assembly is having issues. But at this point i could care less. the top of the flywheel has an emergency knotch in it to put a knot of a rope in and wrap it around and yank to fire the engine up if your rewind gets messed up. well ive been outside pulling and pulling, :smile2: and adjusting to every which setting with the choke, rich/lean setting, and what not. I dont know very much about motors or boat motors. Just the basics.

any ideas on what could be wrong??? :confused2:

info: it looks like the carb was rebuilt recently, new gas lines, new pulgs and wires, good gas mixture being applied to engine.

2. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Nate, I sent you a IM. You might not get it till you have made 10 post. I live across the river in Bonner Springs. Bring the motor over and I'll work on it for you. Send your phone number or contact me through my e-mail address rongamble@att.net. I have dial up internet so the phone line is busy alot

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    is it the motor on grumpy old men that got submerged?:tounge_out:

shake the hell out of it.

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Always put your motor in a tank of water to test them. If you do not the water pump will probably burn up in seconds.

5. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Well I have the issue fixed now, but I have a new one!!!!

The throttle ( i think you call it) its the lever you push forward to go faster and when i push it up and let go, it slowly goes all the way from "fast" to "start" then to "stop" and the motor shuts off. How can I get it to stay where I put it??? :confused2:

6. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Take off the cover and get a picture of it and post it here. You might try getting a small thing bunji cord to told it in place. Most newer outboard motors are designed to go back to idle if you let go for safety sake.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are throttling it through the tiller handle and when you let go its suppose to ease itself back.

8. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr