4 cycle and rough water oiling function.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by peewee williams, Mar 30, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used to fish for Black Sea Bass in the winter in very rough seas.A 47 lb.anchor and 600 feet of rope was often useless.I kept my fishing position with my outboard.The conditions and effort it takes are beyond belief.It was often brutal,but very productive.I fished alone as no one would go with me.I learned to fish like this while in stationed in Maine.I have since wondered if a 4 cycle outboard could operate properly under those conditions.Without a great lube system,the engine would starve for lube at times and the pistons would have to shove the oil out of the lower cylinders at other times.This motion is constant and varies from one extreme to another in seconds.How has this been addressed and how well does it work.Had both my motors failed,I doubt that I would have survived.I know marine inboards had been modified for this,and some had good and some bad reputations with the commercial fishermen.Any info would be appreciated as I am curious.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    I'm far from an expert on the new 4stroke motors, but I think they probably have a pressurized oiling system and a crankcase reservoir that keeps the oil away from the cylinders. In rough seas there may be oil splashed up into the cylinders behind the pistons, but I doubt it would be enough or there long enough to cause a problem. With the proper shielding oil splash could be minimized.

I could se where a two stroke might fair better in rough seas. But even they will load up the lower cylinders if let idling for a long time. I think the newer oil injected 2 strokes have solved that problem too.