4\4\09 on Monty - 8 Eater Sized Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Apr 5, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Spent 6 hours on Monty yesterday, along with about 10000 other boats. The weather was great, but the bite was light. I managed 8 eater sized fish all day. Several bites did not hook up, and 3 fish were lost. Most bites were in 25 to 35 feet of water, mostly around creek mouths.

They were having a huge bass tourney there, I saw tags from Virginia, NC, and Georgia. I had to park way out the entrance road. I really hope that we "Mad Catters" aren't as rude as the bass guys are. 70 MPH over your lines, passing at full throttle within feet of your boat while you're drifting, and such.

One idiot ran between me and the trailor while I was loading up. I had to slam reverse to keep from hitting him. Then he reversed from the dock and would have hit me if I had'nt reversed again. I told him I was glad God made idiots, it makes me look smarter.

I think I will start checking for bass tourneys before I go now. I will either change lakes or at least ramps.

I did get to see Bill Harper on my old boat. The old rig looks good. The only way it could have looked better would have been with me in it, LOL.

I talked to several other catter's, only one had any fish, about equal to my catch. Something had an effect on the bite, it was very light. I started to downsize my hooks, I did downsize my baits to catch the ones I caught. Some were on shad, but most were on herring. The other boat that caught some was using shad.

I'm off Friday, so weather permitting I will try it again, somewhere. I'm thinking of venturing to uncharted waters, I've never been on Wateree and have never cat fished on Hartwell, so I may try a change of scenery.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Steve I think it was that front that passed on Friday. The blues we caught on Hartwell last night bit like small channels. We only had one fish that just crushed a rod. Good fish just real lite bites. Thanks for the report.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Good seeing you Steve. We didn't do much either, but didn't really try. I let my buddy convince me I could catch bait there and that didn't pan out very well. So the kids fished with red worms that night while the adults hung out around the camp fire. They managed 3 eater channels and a few perch. Then we went out to one of the islands in the morning with night crawlers and we got 2 more channels. Nothing spectacular, but will be a nice little fish fry. When we do this its more about the hanging around the camp fire then the fishing so it was still a nice trip. And trying to launch during a bass tourney weigh in was a blast:smile2:.

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey Bill,
    The perch the kids caught would have made fine cat bait. I usually scale them and cut them into chunks. I've had good luck with them in the past. It may be just me, but it seems like they hit it better, and hook up better if I scale them first. I always thought it was because the white perch have sharp scales. I like the head and the gut sack best, although I filleted some on Murray and caught some on strips of fillet. The stay on the hook great, tough enough to catch 2 or 3 sometimes.

God Bless All,
    Steve

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thanks for the report Steve. Glad ya was able to go after'em.:wink: Pat would tell ya, You needed the Lucky Scrimps!

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve that was a great report and not a bad day at all. I got a sling shot for ya! Those things seem to keep them bass folks away.:eek:oooh:
    You will figure it out! :wink:
    Oh, try to lick your bait sometime, Pop Pop say's it works!!!!:smile2::smile2:

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I thought about licking the bait, but was askeerd of get an 8\0 circle hook tongue piercing!!! A girl came to me on Greenwood once with a Shad Rap hanging from her ear lobe. Asked me what to do. I told her to hang one from the other ear and start a new trend.

God Bless All,
    Steve