4/27 Evening on the Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 27, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Todays trip was with Jason and Eric Hoek of Belmont, Michigan. We started out at 4:00 pm and fished until 10:00pm. Our biggest fish of the night hit within the 1st 5 minutes of having the baits in the water. It was a nice looking 13lb'er. We bounced from hole to hole picking up one or two fish here and there. We had a dry spell from 6:00 - 8:00 then all of a sudden they turned on. At the last spot we fished I could'nt keep 4 rods baited and in the water. For about 10 minutes straight one guy would be fighting a fish while I was handing a rod with a fish on it to the other guy while trying to net incoming fish and rebait hooks at the same time. Sometimes it still feels like work!! All fish took cut bait. I had some stink bait out tonight but it took no fish. Most of the fish were in the 5-7lb range with 2 others weighing 11 and 12. It was pretty cold and windy to start the evening but it actually warmed up and was comfortable toward dusk. One nice thing about this weather is that there are no bugs yet.

Some pics from tonight

Dan

Attached Files:

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Nice clean looking fish. Got to love the numbers of channels you can get into in the pre spawn bite.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Cool!
    Thanks for the report!
    Has anybody caught a flathead yet this year?
    Seems I remember maybe someone did...
    If not, we could have a contest for the first flat of the year.
    Winner gets rep points from everybody or something?

I've been in Chicago for a few days, has it been raining in the GR area? Looks like the river is up a bit...

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Dan, Dan, the Catfish Man! Great outting. Those are pictures with memories attached.
    Sparky

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey,
    I snuck out on the river for a whole hour today, between the yard work and the soccer game (I've been out of town for two days, so I had to catch up on family/home time).
    I mainly just wanted to see that the new throttle linkage was working (it was) but I decided to stop for a minute and toss a half crawler toward a creek mouth.
    BANG! 5 1/2 pound channel cat. (@3PM in bright sun) I was tempted to turn her into a nice meal, but she looked like she was ready to spawn, so... anyway, ten minutes later, a 15" red horse sucker, perfect cut bait.
    Water was 57 degees, so it's finally time to catch some fish!! :>D

6. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Channels will be biting all day long for the next month in the Grand. Best times are 1 hour before daylight up to about 10:00am then 2:00-just after dark. Mid day is slower but you can still find a small fish or two. Usually stink bait gets the negative mid day bite. I've yet to see a flathead this Spring. We have'nt had a long enough stretch of warm stable weather. If this coming week stays warm we might have a shot at one by the end of the week. I'll be sure to let you all know when we get our first one. Starting to see alot of Gar now. I've been waiting to try a new thing this year. I've got a couple 8 weight flyrod setups in the boat that are rigged with rope flys. Can't wait to try them on surface feeding Gar!!

Dan

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Amen to that brother. I wonder sometimes how many channel cats are actually coming up the Grand to spawn out of Lake Michigan. Thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? I don't know. If the water was clear maybe a guy could get a visual count in a shallow pool. Thats not the case in the Grand. I'll bet my paycheck that in the hole we had the best action in Friday night there were 50 or more fish there.

Dan

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I got out for a few more hours Sunday night.
    Caught another five pound channel, a 16" smallmouth bass, and a 32" NORTHERN PIKE!
    The cat and the bass bit on crawlers, and the pike ate a chunk of cut sucker. All three came to the boat with a #4 circle hook in the corner of the mouth, even the northern.
    Water's up to 58.5 degrees, but still very high. No mosquitos, but I sure got a face full of gnats & such motoring back to the ramp!

9. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Awesome Tony, sounds like you would win the multi-species tourney if there was one right now :) I couldn't go tonight, my wife was throwing a fit cause apparantly all I talk about is fishing, and my kids only landed a single sucker minnow out of the Flat river for me :( I've left my fish trap in the river, and I'll check it in the mornin, but rain looks like its coming for tomorrow! Just my luck! Did you get a pic of that northern?

10. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The Fish Gods were a Smiling On Ya Dan.Congat's,J.D.
    :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :big_smile_2: :0a23: :0a18:

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You kidding? Pick up a digital camera with pike slime all over your hands?
    NO WAY! LOL... I don't want my camera to end up like Sparky's Leatherman tool...

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Thats toooooooooooo funny! LMAO
    Sparky

13. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    way to go Tony........What section of the river were you fishing??

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Same ol' place (I think you know where it is) plus a few likely looking spots on the way.
    Got to check out the "home stretch" for the first time this year...

15. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    We had a pike take a cut chub last Saturday. It was only about a 20 incher. I've never caught a Pike on cut bait in the Grand my whole life until this year. Now I've heard of 2!!

16. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I caught mine on a sucker belly!

17. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Mel and Jason both caught Pike on cut sucker at Quanicassee Fri night.

We need to come up with a nickname for the above location so I don't have to type it out every time I refer to it. :confused2:

Let's start a "nickname the Quanicassee" contest. Who will be the first brave soul to voice an idea?

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    How about "The Vanderbuilt fishing hole"!
    Sparky

19. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    How about "The Q"...

20. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    I call it the QUAN. It fit's in the gps real good and I have'nt fogotten it yet It is a real pain to spell but then every thing is for this oldman.