4/26 on the Grand

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 27, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Had 2 guys out tonight for some catfishing. It was SLOW going for the first 3 hours then the fish turned on. We wound up with 14 fish from 2 - 17 lbs, all Channels. We actually caught that 17 lb fish twice!! After releasing the fish the 1st time another rod buckled over and I handed the rod to one of the guys. It seemed like a very large fish. Then it came to the surface and I saw the fish was foul hooked. It was the same 17 lb fish somehow snagged in the side. I have no idea how that fish could have gotten itself impaled on that hook. We took another picture of her anyway. The guys were laughing like crazy saying we caught 2 17lb fish in 5 min!! We caught several in the 6 - 10 lb class. All fish were Females but one. The guys kept 4 small cats for the frying pan. While fileting them I noticed Crayfish parts in their stomachs. I'd say the morning bite is a little better than the evening bite right now.

Dan

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Congrats on the fishing trip Riverkat. You're having a great Spring! Those are nice fish 10 to 17 lbs. What have you been using for bait?
    You should jump on this Houghton Lake band wagon! We haven't got all the details figured out yet, but the more guys we have the more fun we'll have.
    Sparky

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    All fish have been caught on cut bait. It seems to be the best bet for larger fish on average. It's crazy but I honestly think if I add it all up I've caught somewhere around 400 lbs of catfish in the last month!!!

Dan

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    RiverKat, that is a lot of catfish! I don't know how many lbs. HearKitty (Don)
    has caught, but I'm sure he is getting close to you.
    Keep your lines tight, and keep bringing the fish in.
    Sparky

5. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    way to go riverkat. a 17 pounder, twice. there is a story for the grand kids. im ready anytime you have room in the boat. i'll even take of early from work to go.....how is 4:00 pm tomorow? I'll meet you at the Rouge River boat launch....LOL

just be sure to post the pictures of the big one.

6. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Here's the 17 lb fish the 1st time we caught it. I have video of the second catch but don't know how to attach it.

Attached Files:

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Good to see the action heating up!
    Does anyone know the water temp in the Grand anywhere near GR right now?

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Water temps were pushing 60 last week but this cold snap has them back down in the mid 50's.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Thanks, good to know. We need a nice warm rain...

10. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    What kind of cut bait!!! From the river? Or from a pond? Or a near buy creak? Need more info!!! CHUBS GILLS ?????