4/21 on the Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 21, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Took a kid out this morning that had never been catfishing. I think we have a future cat fanatic on our hands now. We went 14 for 16 in 4 hours of fishing. 13 Channel Cats from 2 to 12 lbs and one nice Flathead. This kid was grining ear to ear all morning. We even had a triple header on once and two double headers. Also saw a dead Flathead that was very stinky and bloated floating in a logjam. The fish must have been in the 15lb range or so. I've never seen a dead cat in the river before. The kids shirt was so covered in fish slime ( from me making him pose for pics ) that he went bare chested until he got too cold! Here's a pic of Benny with his 1st Flathead.

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dan , thats a trip that kid will never forget, and he will always remember it and you for the rest of his life. you have given a gift for life. thanks brother for sharing your time with him.. Thats what life is all about, helping others........a big:thumbsup: to you.........steve.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats great, thanks for sharing that!

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Rite On Dan! Thanx for sharein!!!!!!

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    There is nothing like seeing a kids face and excitement that catching fish brings to a kids face you have just become one of this kids most respected people in his life and set him on the right track! This is something he will never forget! GOOD JOB DAN

6. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks guys!

Dan

7. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    riveerkat is probably my new idol.
    those are some nice fish man. that kid will remember that forever.
    what are you catching them on??
    let me know if you ever need a co-pilot for the day, i live in saugatuck.(short drive)
    great stories
    -jim

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Dan,
    You are the Man! I guess I'm on the same page as Jim, You Are my Idol! I've never caught a cat that big myself. Do you want to take a Big Kid fishing? I'm two and a half hours away, but it would be worth the drive.
    Sparky

9. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    dan- you are making a name for yourself around here, and it is well deserved. that kid will enjoy fishing the rest of his life even if he never catches another fish. way to go........

looks like i am already third in line to beg for a spot in your boat. altho, i do live in grand rapids, so im the closest......hope your sucess lasts all year.....

i do have one question tho.......are you releasing those big cats?

keep your lines tight.

10. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Absolutely releasing ALL the cats. If I take someone out that wants to keep fish I tell them O.K. but everything 10lbs and over goes back. I get just as big a kick out of having them throw water in my face as they swim away as I do reeling them in.

Dan